Having Troubles to install

Flecha311

Dabbler
Hello: I was trying to make a "home made" server with my old desktop. The FreeNAS software is not installing.
I tried the USB flash drive installation method with 3 different flash drives.
Any advice will be really appreciated.

Thanks

The system is:
MB - Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3
Form Factor - ATX
CPU- Intel Core i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Socket - LGA 1156
RAM - 16GB DDR3
HD - 2) Western Digital Red 4TB
HD - 1) Seagate 2TB

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Do you have a small SSD? Thumb drives, unfortunately, aren't recommended for holding the FreeNAS OS anymore because of reliability issues during operation and install.

Also, could you provide the model numbers of the hard drives? You may have inadvertantly opted for shingled magnetic recording (SMR) drives, which don't work well with FreeNAS.

Do you have a small SSD
Check Amazon for Kingston A400 SSDs. The 120 GB is rather larger but for about $25 it isn't much more expensive than the GOOD quality USB thumb drive you should use....

Flecha311

Dabbler
This are the drives in the system now:

2) WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 ATA ---- 4TB
1) Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 ATA ---- 1TB
1) Seagate FireCuda st2000dx002-2dv164 ----- 2TB

I can make available a ssd drive from my new desktop. I have 2 small ssd in that computer. I'm only using one.

How do you make the ssd bootable? or how I should mount the FreeNAS .iso into the ssd to install?

Thanks

Actually - what is the error you are getting on the install? Can you provide a screenshot?

Flecha311

Dabbler
Is not even trying, basically the computer froze and do nothing. I tried with a cd but it said something about missing Kernel.

A couple of suggestions: 1. Redownload FreeNAS and the checksums. Verify that the download's integrity. 2. I had problems with writing the ISO to a USB thumb drive until I used Etcher. Etcher seems to do a better job of writing ISOs for some reason (under Windows 10 and Linux). 3. Use a USB 2.0 USB thumb drive for install (and the boot drive if you go that way); USB 2.0 drives seem more reliable than USB 3.0 drives. 4. use a good quality USB thumb drive; I had a couple of cheap USB 2.0 thumb drives that woud not work but better quality USB 2.0 thumb drives worked. 5. Try using from the rear (onboard) USB ports. I had a Dell PowerEdge 2940 III that would only boot FreeNAS using the rear USB ports.

HTH

Flecha311

Dabbler
A couple of suggestions: 1. Redownload FreeNAS and the checksums. Verify that the download's integrity. 2. I had problems with writing the ISO to a USB thumb drive until I used Etcher. Etcher seems to do a better job of writing ISOs for some reason (under Windows 10 and Linux). 3. Use a USB 2.0 USB thumb drive for install (and the boot drive if you go that way); USB 2.0 drives seem more reliable than USB 3.0 drives. 4. use a good quality USB thumb drive; I had a couple of cheap USB 2.0 thumb drives that woud not work but better quality USB 2.0 thumb drives worked. 5. Try using from the rear (onboard) USB ports. I had a Dell PowerEdge 2940 III that would only boot FreeNAS using the rear USB ports.

HTH
I tried a few times with different usb sticks , I used Rufus, Disk imager but nothing happened...... not even try.... the computer freeze. Then I tried with a cd but it said something about missing Kernel.

To be sure the usb boot was working I have a windows 10 on a usb flash drive and the windows 10 OS booted a run the installation with no problem.

I'm going to try now with a different Usb stick 2.0 (I downloaded FreeNAS again, I used Etcher this time to write it to the usb stick) and I'm going to use the MB usb port in the back of the computer. I'll let you now if I'm lucky this time.

Flecha311

Dabbler
I have the same issue, The computer is off, I plug the usb stick on the usb port in the back of the computer, I press the on button the computer started their process...... the computer freeze. I can't do anything else the computer is frozen. The computer freeze before I can press del or F12 to change the boot order.

I tried a few times with different usb sticks , I used Rufus, Disk imager but nothing happened...... not even try.... the computer freeze. Then I tried with a cd but it said something about missing Kernel.

To be sure the usb boot was working I have a windows 10 on a usb flash drive and the windows 10 OS booted a run the installation with no problem.

I'm going to try now with a different Usb stick 2.0 (I downloaded FreeNAS again, I used Etcher this time to write it to the usb stick) and I'm going to use the MB usb port in the back of the computer. I'll let you now if I'm lucky this time.
I know - been there. Rufus will write Linux, Windows just fine. FreeNAS (maybe it is BSD) seems a little different. Etcher worked for me when the rest didn't.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I have the same issue, The computer is off, I plug the usb stick on the usb port in the back of the computer, I press the on button the computer started their process...... the computer freeze. I can't do anything else the computer is frozen. The computer freeze before I can press del or F12 to change the boot order.

[Moderator hat on] Please do not post similar messages or the same message in multiple threads, please.

Flecha311

Dabbler
[Moderator hat on] Please do not post similar messages or the same message in multiple threads, please.
Understood. Sorry. Is not going to happen again. In my defense I was answering a question to Kris Moore at the other thread.