Hardware Recommendations Guide

Hardware Recommendations Guide Discussion Thread Rev 2a) 2021-01-24

ullbeking

Dabbler
Clarification of "Notes on Kaby Lake processors":

FreeNAS-11-STABLE
Supermicro A1SAi-2750F | 32 GB ECC unbuffered (4x Kingston KVR16LSE11/8KF)
Fractal Design Node 304 | be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 10 400W (BN230)
boot media: 2x SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB, mirrored

So far I'm think of a design that has elements of this. What are the actual storage/caching disks you're using?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
So far I'm think of a design that has elements of this. What are the actual storage/caching disks you're using?

Off-topic in this thread, therefore answered in private communication.

Bomber

Dabbler
- It would be good if the resource could be open without having to download (save) it when accessed.
- Most of the items assume access to 1150 CPUs and motherboards and DDR3 RAM. In some parts of the world outside the US these are now impossible to find (there are effectively no 1150 socket mobos and no CPUs to be sourced new from a reputable supplier in Australia right now), when you have time an update that includes some 1151 socket components would be useful :).

Stux

MVP
- It would be good if the resource could be open without having to download (save) it when accessed.
- Most of the items assume access to 1150 CPUs and motherboards and DDR3 RAM. In some parts of the world outside the US these are now impossible to find (there are effectively no 1150 socket mobos and no CPUs to be sourced new from a reputable supplier in Australia right now), when you have time an update that includes some 1151 socket components would be useful :).

The current version covers both LGA1150 and LGA1151 boards and CPUs.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It would be good if the resource could be open without having to download (save) it when accessed.
It's simply not practical. It's a 16-page document with hyperlinks.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I was doing some hardware research today and found that the Intel Xeon E3-1220 (LGA 1150) is selling for less than the Intel Core i3-4330.
I pulled those part numbers from your hardware guide because I was looking to buy and wanted best value.
The Core i3 is over $100 more. I was surprised.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Wow, it's rare to see Intel CPUs with a real price drop...

Hi,
Instead of 16GB SATA DOM can I use 8GB SATA DOM or 4GB SATA DOM?
Instead of using 8 or 6 core CPU, can I use 4 core CPU?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not sure how my second half of November is going to be, so the next update may be somewhat delayed.

In any case, it's fairly clear that the only significant additions are C3000 and Xeon Scalable. Xeon non-scalable doesn't seem to actually have any server boards available, unfortunately.

C3000 will cover a few specific models of interest and motherboards that use them, similar to what's currently written for C2000.

Xeon scalable is going to be an extremely blurry overview. I simply don't have the time to figure out the whole lineup. Intel has succeeded in confusing me hard enough that I cannot understand their CPU lineup.
The offer to include someone else's research on the topic is still valid, though. I, for one, would really appreciate a concise breakdown of models that make sense for NAS.

PrincePaul

Patron
Did somebody already bought a Board with a C3000 CPU?
I'm thinking of doing so, but so far I only found one thread here in the forms. Seems like it works flawless but I haven`t seen any performance numbers.

Maybe one of these:
Supermicro A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F
ASRock Rack C3758D4I
ASRock Rack C3758D4U

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
C3000 boards from Supermicro work as expected with FreeNAS 11.1. I don't think anybody's tried ASRock and shared their experience.

PrincePaul

Patron
Yeah because you can`t really buy them. There are suppose to by available since september. I can`t find any dealer. And it seems that even the product pictures and infos on ASRock Racks Website regarding these two boards are not fully up to date. Because apparently the D4U is mATX with 2x Intel Gigabit, but on the pics you`ll find 4 Gigabit connectors and an ITX standard.

The D4I has quad Marvell Gigabit, so I don`t know the story with them as everybody is swearing on Intel NICs.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
For now, definitely stay away from the ASRocks. Besides the company history, their currently-listed lineup is mediocre.

dclevy1

Dabbler
The documentation recommends the i3 4330 but I was seeing the 4170 that has a higher clock but just has a older version of intel graphics (of course this doesn't matter) bit is there a reason why I can't go with the 4170?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The 43xxs have 4MB of L3 cache, the 41xxs only have 3MB.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hard to say without data. I like the warm fuzzy feeling of the additional cache, but don't have real data to make it more than a feeling.