Resource icon

Hard Drive Burn-In Testing - Discussion Thread

Techanimal

Dabbler
Hi Apollo. Yes I used tmux to run the tests concurrently but the problem is that the shell refuses to open again. I guess I'll be able to tell when it's done using a combination of the reporting tab and the drive activity LED. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Apollo

Wizard
I have experienced similar behavior and I believe the issue maybe related to your filesysteme being full.
Can you run via SSH instead? It should let you in without any issue.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So I started doing the badblocks tests and had to log out of the gui view. Now when I log back in, I can't access the shell anymore. I can see that the tests are running since the drive activity light is lit and if I go to reporting, I can see solid drive activity over the last 40 hrs.

How do I get back in to view progress and how long should it take to do 6 X 3 tb WD Red hard drives?

Always use tmux when doing this kind of stuff.

Read the tmux man page - there's a lot of stuff, but it's easy once you get the hang of it.

You can't reopen a closed SSH session and pick up where you left off, unfortunately, so tmux is the way to go. It also allows for parallel testing of all disks.

David Prince

Dabbler
Hi Apollo. Yes I used tmux to run the tests concurrently but the problem is that the shell refuses to open again. I guess I'll be able to tell when it's done using a combination of the reporting tab and the drive activity LED. Thanks.

I had the same issue about not being able to open shell through the webGUI when running badblocks.

Did you use tmux to start badblocks on each drive? If not, start over it will save you time.

Use SSH - run tmux, open sufficient panes to run badblocks on all of your disks. You can close your SSH session whenever you want and then use "tmux attach" in another session to check progress at a later point. Each "pass" of badblocks (write then read and compare) took around 24 hours on my WD 4TB Greens - and the test does four passes (so in total about four days).

If it is already running on all six drives - I guess you could wait until the six instances of badblocks process (one per drive) end in some days time and then run a long SMART test. But I'm not an expert.

Techanimal

Dabbler
Thanks for the replies guys. I did start the tests using tmux and am running them on all the drives concurrently. According to the disk reporting tab I've read and written about 11tb on each drive so I guess I'm almost done (fingers crossed). By my estimation it's been roughly 66 hours since I started....

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The problem is that the shell should quit when you close the window in the WebGUI. But that's not what happens because tmux runs in the background. The appropriate solution is to:

1. Never use tmux in the WebGUI shell (always do locally or via SSH).
2. Always end tmux (you don't have to end the session though) before navigating elsewhere in the WebGUI so that tmux doesn't get stuck.

Techanimal

Dabbler
Ah! Understood. Can I safely use tmux via ipmi console?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ah! Understood. Can I safely use tmux via ipmi console?

Yes, it's the same as running it locally. You are running it locally, but the local I/O is being redirected by the BMC.

But why would you want to do that? SSH makes your life a lot easier.

Techanimal

Dabbler
Well I'm in the same room as the server so ipmi seems pretty easy. Not sure how SSH would be simpler in this case? I'm a newbie to this so it's entirely possible I'm missing something obvious...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm with Ericloewe. IPMI is over the network, so is SSH. There's nothing to be gained from using IPMI and you could easily argue that SSH is more reliable and better performing. Both are over the network, but SSH is also far more flexible. Generally doing things "locally", be it truely local or even via IPMI is often left for those times when you have no choice but to do things locally such as the server being unreliable, etc.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm with Ericloewe. IPMI is over the network, so is SSH. There's nothing to be gained from using IPMI and you could easily argue that SSH is more reliable and better performing. Both are over the network, but SSH is also far more flexible. Generally doing things "locally", be it truely local or even via IPMI is often left for those times when you have no choice but to do things locally such as the server being unreliable, etc.

Not to mention the much, much lower bandwidth usage of SSH compared with transmitting video of the console instead of the text written to it.

And the lack of compression artifacts. They'll drive you crazy sometimes, since they may result in less readable text.

Techanimal

Dabbler
LOL. I surrender ;) Seriously though, I appreciate the education and will make a point to study up on SSH a bit.

On the plus side all my drives and ram tested fine. On to configuring freenas!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
In my Darth Vader voice...
"You don't know the power of the dark side!"

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, Mosh is a great idea, but as it hasn't been through the same kind of rigor with regards to security I don't think it's a good idea to be using software like that on internet-facing services until it's been proven to be secure and such.

SSH + tmux is what I'd recommend.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Can a mod fix the OP? Replace "tmux reattach" with "tmux attach".

thx!

cyberjock

Inactive Account

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Thanks! :smile:
Could you also add after the Ctrl+b, " : To make the multiple windows easier to view, press Ctrl+b, Space a couple times to toggle through the different view options.

pjc

Contributor
Could you tell us what the emails said? I'm not exactly keen on scouring 9 smartctl dumps without guidance.

Also, temperature you should be concerned about is 40, not 30. Your temperatures are fine.