Haproxy, Plex and a 503 error

gdog0

Dabbler
Overview:

I have a Pfsense router that handles acme and haproxy for me.
I have Plex installed in a jail.
I have some sub domains that get back to my jails (nextcloud and plex) from the outside world through haproxy.

The problem:

I can access my plex server via the ip address on my network and it runs fine. I can also access it remotely with an app (iphone, ipad). However, I am getting a 503 service unavailable error when I try to access it via my custom domain. Unfortunately, it's been a while since I needed to do this so I'm not sure when it started... could be a few FreeNAS, Plex, haproxy, etc. updates ago.

I'm pretty certain it's not in the router, acme or haproxy as I can access my nextcloud subdomain without any problem.

Any ideas what to check or where to look?

ornias

Wizard
I don't think the freenas forum is the best place to ask, because your jail is clearly running just fine.

gdog0

Dabbler
I don't think the freenas forum is the best place to ask, because your jail is clearly running just fine.
Well, just fine might be a stretch but I figured lots of folks here are running the same setup so it's likely someone may have run into the same issue. I did post on Plex as well and will update this for posterity if an answer comes from there.

ornias

Wizard
HAproxy is a finicky beast.
I quit using it some time ago due to that reason ;)

gdog0

Dabbler
Problem solved. After a bit of searching and enabling the stats page on Haproxy I saw my plex backend was failing the HTTP check. Not entirely sure what changed but I do know the default returned file is XML. Anyway, I changed the check from HTTP to Basic for the Plex backend and now everything is working.

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 8.45.16 AM.png

cyrus104

Explorer
@gdog0 I know this is an old thread but just want to say that changing the check from HTTP to Basic also worked for me and I'm just now setting it up on TN Scale with pFsense as my router.