SOLVED Grow Encrypted Volume larger disks and FreeNAS 12

Junicast

Patron
Hi,

I know there's the possibility to grow the pool by replacing disks with bigger disks one by one.
Does this also work with encrypted pools?
I'm going to start to replace one of the 6 x 4 TB drives with one 8 TB drive. Since it's quite some money this might take me to the end of the year until all the disks are replaced.
If FreeNAS 13 will show up this year I think it should be better to wait to migrate to the new version AFTER the disks are all replaced, right? There will be some changes to ZFS and encryption with FreeNAS 13, is that right?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Does this also work with encrypted pools?
Yes, the same as unencrypted.
If FreeNAS 13 will show up this year I think it should be better to wait to migrate to the new version AFTER the disks are all replaced, right?
You're going to wait a long time for 13. 11.3 will come this year, then there's a small possiblity we'll see some of 12 (maybe RC by the end of year).
There will be some changes to ZFS and encryption with FreeNAS 13, is that right?
Volume/pool-level encryption should arrive with 12 (you should look in Jira for the details of exactly what parts will apply).

Junicast

Patron
You're going to wait a long time for 13. 11.3 will come this year, then there's a small possiblity we'll see some of 12 (maybe RC by the end of year).
Oh yes, I meant FreeNAS 12 not 13, how stupid of me.

Arwen

MVP
To be clear, if your pool is a 6 disk, 4TB per disk RAID-Zx, you won't see the new space available until all 6 disks are replaced.

If they are setup as a 3 x 2 way Mirror, then each mirror pair would need the new size before you see space increase.

@Peter Brille, you probably know this, just in case you don't or someone else reading this thread does not know.

Junicast

Patron
Thank you guys for your feedback. It's a Toshiba NAS 8 TB drive. AFAIK it's not SMR.