graphite not exposing all stats?

George Kyriazis

Dabbler
Hello...

I've successfully installed a graphite server using influxDB and Grafana, and I've started pushing data from an 11.2-U5 server. I am able to create a few graphs, and I am happy about it.

However, I noticed that not all the information that is presented in the built-in graphs are available. For example:

- There is only one "system load" metric. I can't find the 3 1-min, 5-min, 15-min system load metrics
- Disk I/O (metric "disk_octets") looks like it reports only write data, not read data.
- Network I/O ("if_octets") looks like it reports only incoming data, not outgoing.

These are the problems that I've found just looking at it for half a day. I looked at the various fields in the influxDB database and I couldn't find anything that may have the more complete metrics. Am I missing something? Is there a way to get all the metrics that I can get from the original built-in Freenas "Reporting" page?

Thank you!

George

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Sorry, I can't help, I just started trying the same. Is it only influxdb and Grafana you need? I thought you need to run at least carbon to collect the data from FreeNAS? Or does influxdb present a compatible API? The less moving parts the better

Thanks,
Patrick

George Kyriazis

Dabbler
Influxdb provides a compatible API. Ingesting is not a problem, It works, it's just I can't make heads or tails out of the measurements.

Is there a place where I can control what gets sent through graphite? Or maybe even add my own data?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Thanks to your hints I got Influxdb and Grafana up and running in no time. And I do have many metrics, even ones you mentioned as missing. I always have to start a search in the "select measurement" field to find things, though.
The drop down menu seems to show a limited number of rows only. See screenshot for an example with the load average - the three common values (1m, 5m, 15m) are at the bottom named "shortterm", "midterm" and "longterm", respectively. I typed in "l o a d" to get all the values you see.

HTH
Patrick
Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-15 um 15.31.37.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

George Kyriazis

Dabbler
Hmm.. I just brought up another (test) VM running 11.3-RELEASE, and I have the same problem. Namely, only "load" appears. I don't have any field that begins with "servers", as you have.

If I enter the influx shell, and type "show series", I get a format like:

load,host=XXXXX,resource=load

I wonder if there is another setting somewhere that formats the series...

George Kyriazis

Dabbler
Never mind. My bad. :)

I had:

"servers.* .host.resource.measurement",

instead of

"servers.* .host.resource.measurement*",

in my influxdb.conf file. I need better glasses..

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I was just about to post my config ;)