Thank you.

LTH

Cadet
Which FreeNAS version?

What is the exact error message?
freenas .png

D

dlavigne

You shouldn't be getting that error. Please create a report at bugs.ixsystems.com and post the issue number here.

Reactions: LTH

Frikkie

Dabbler
Can we just marvel at the 48 cores and 128GB of memory for a FreeNAS server please? Is it serving an entire small business? ;)

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
I'm having this problem too. Maybe I'm doing it the same way as the OP is, in which case I'll give some additional details. And maybe I'm doing it differently, in which case the differences may help isolate the source of the problem we share in common. So here's the relevant information:
  1. I have an *.edu account from my alma mater that gives me access to the Google Drive I want to use for backup.
  2. In the Google API Console I've been unsuccessful at creating a project. I can log in with my user's credentials and access the console. But when I select CREATE, put in the information for a New Project, and then select CREATE again, I'm returned to the main console screen but see just a spinning wheel and have a new notification. The notification says, "Google Cloud Platform service has been disabled. Please contact your administrator to restore service in G Suite Admin console." I assume this means two things:
    • The G Suite sysadmin has disabled Google Cloud Platform services.
    • Only the sysadmin can create projects on this console.
  3. The only reason for creating a project is to create one's own Google Drive Client ID. If one's willing to take a performance hit, one does not really need to do this: see rclone's "Making your own client_id." So I just used rclone's client_id and push on.
  4. This still leaves the problem of getting an access token. So (using Homebrew), I installed rclone on my Mac, ran "rclone config," and chose the following options:
    • New remote
    • name = FooBar
    • Storage = drive
    • client_id = <blank>
    • client_secret = <blank>
    • scope = drive
    • root_folder_id = <blank>
    • service_account_file = <blank>
    • Edit advanced config = No
    • Remote config = y (this worked by opening a login window on Google, in which I entered my account's credentials, and rclone returned "Got code.")
    • Team drive = No
  5. This returned a summary of the new remote, including a token field, which contained an "access_token" member. I copied the value of the access token and pasted it in the "Access Token" field of FreeNAS's Cloud Credentials dialog.
  6. I tried to test this remote as recommended, with "rclone -v --drive-impersonate me@almamater.edu lsf FooBar:backup" and got "Error : : error listing: directory not found/Failed to lsf with 2 errors: last error was: error in ListJSON: directory not found."
    • I also tried "rclone -v --drive-impersonate me@almamater.com lsf FooBar" and got identical results
  7. I pushed on. Giving the cloud credential a name and saying the Provider was "Google Drive," I was able to save the cloud credential in FreeNAS.
  8. Then I created the Cloud-Sync task. In the creation dialog window, when I tried to browse to a destination folder, I got this error message: "Call Error \r [EFAULT] <date> <time> Failed to create file system for "remote:/" drive failed when making oauth client: failed to create oauth client: invalid character 'y' looking for beginning of values."
  9. Pushing on nonetheless, I left the destination Folder as "/", the source Directory/Files as "/mnt", scheduled the task as "Daily", and saved the task.
  10. When I ran the task :) Run Now), I got this error message: "FAILED [EFAULT] DIRECTORY '/MNT' MUST RESIDE WITHIN VOLUME MOUNT POINT."
  11. So I went back and changed the source directory to "/mnt/Volume1," although I really want the backup to include all mounted datasets. This time the error message read: "FAILED:RCLONE FAILED," and clicking on it popped up a log entry, "2019/11/01 12:57:09 Failed to create file system for "remote:/": drive: failed when making oauth client: failed to create oauth client: invalid character 'y' looking for beginning of value.

YIKES!

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Did anyone create a bug report? If so, what is the number?

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
Did anyone create a bug report? If so, what is the number?

Not that I'm aware of.

But I'm still not convinced that this is a FreeNAS bug rather than a situation with lots of complex, moving parts and either insufficient documentation or GUI hand holding.