SOLVED GELI key on not importable USB stick

Emzy

Cadet
Hello,
I was not aware that the GELI keys are only on the USB stick and in the config backup missing.

So I wrote the FreeNAS install iso (about 650 MB) over my boot USB stick. Now I can't import the pool from the stick.

I need 2 GELI key files (64 Byte) from the stick. zpool "import -a" and "zdb -l /dev/da2p*" shows nothing.

The Tool "Klennet ZFS Recovery" shows the key files. But in the demo version you can't export them.
I wonder if there is any other way to get to the 64Byte of GELI key data?

The partition table is wrong and the first 650mb of data is missing. GPT copy on the end of the device also seams to be wrong.

I see no way to use zdb if there is no pool found. But I found via hexdump the zfs uberblock at the end of the USB drive and the TXG matches the one from the Klennet ZFS Recovery tool.

Maybe there is an easy way to find the 64byte data on the device, even if compressed with lz4?

The USB FreeNAS boot stick was version "freenas-FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 (561f0d7a1)" and the size is 8GB.

Any Ideas? Or anyone got the full version of Klennet ZFS Recovery, who could fetch the 2 files for me?

Best
Emzy

Emzy

Cadet
I am right that the file /data/geli/{UID}.key and my encryption password is all that I need to import the pool in a fresh FreeNAS installation?

Emzy

Cadet
To answer my own question. Yes all you need is the right /data/geli/{UID}.key file.

Any I bought the Klennet ZFS Recovery software. Works linke a charm.