FYI, Intel C2000 family of processors: System Fault may lead to dead system.

cods69

Explorer
So I waited few days and file support form about all my 3 boards( the old 2 and the brand new I just got) to supermicro by giving them my serial numbers. The response was that I have to send all 3 boards back to them for RMA including the new one I just got.

What do you guys make of that ? Are they we just swapping the boards so I can feel better, but still got a board that could die any time ? It seems they can't tell by the serial number now and it seems the revision don't meant anything either ?!

This was precisely my concern, that (ASRock in my case) are just sending back another ticking time bomb.
A (TLDR) log of my experience -> https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...i-or-c2750d4i-lasted.45445/page-8#post-470523
In short, my 'new' C2750D4I is en route to me next week, so I asked ASRock and PBTech if this is definitely going to be a fixed version and how to identify it as such. No response from PBTech. ASRock responded with "We will have some test to ensure the board is working fine before ship out to customer" which was not exactly reassuring.
Of course they are going to send a working board, but no clue as to whether it will keep working after any given reasonable time!

Well, it seems like I finally hit this bug with my Supermicro A1SRi-2558F. Purchased 30-11-2015. Suddenly stopped working. On startup, no beeb, no screen, no nothing, even with nothing connected to the mobo. IPMI works (except power up/down/restart etc.). Is there any way to confirm it's actually this bug or something else before I try to RMA?

Sounds identical to my ASRock. What they wanted as proof, aside from the usual PSU/RAM swapouts, was a picture of IPMI sensor readings, specifically the voltages. If you've only got 5VSB and 3VSB, as well as battery, but nothing else shows sign of life, then that's a good indication.

Last edited:
Yea I bought both of mine used on Ebay and had them repaired by Supermicro NL.

I didn't have to show receipt or anything.
Wow, that is great. I'll try that first then.

Last edited:

wywywywy

Dabbler
Me -

I have the Super Micro A1SRi-2758F motherboard, and I just found out that there is an errata published by Intel about the Atom C2758 processor on it that would eventually make it inoperable.

I am unsure whether the one I have already has the platform fix applied by Super Micro. If I give you the serial number, would you be able to check for me please?

The serial number is

Them -

Has your motherboard been in RMA since March 2017?

If not, then please fill out our RMA form and contact our RMA department directly, for this particular issue you don’t have to go through your supplier.

Our RMA can be reached via RMA_Europe@Supermicro.com.

http://www.supermicro.com/RmaForm/

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Excellent response by Supermicro.

Well, filled in the RMA form on the Supermicro website, mentioned C2000 bug, and a day later I got the approval and sent it their way, super easy, nothing else needed.
Update: few days later repaired and sent back to me. Excellent service!

Last edited:

LaserAllan

Dabbler
I did buy one of those motherboards, luckily it held up for about 2.6 years and it died. I moved over to an X9 Supermicro. Haven't looked back since.

I did get a new board from ASRock though which was also broken.

dvd-boy

Dabbler
This is an updated copy of what I posted in this thread - https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...asrock-c2550d4i-or-c2750d4i-last.45445/page-9

Purchased my C2750D4I on 23/11/2016, think it went in the summer, possibly June. Was travelling with work and other stuff so didn't get a chance to do anything about it. I've raised a support ticket, and have gotten a response from Asrock asking a bunch of stuff about clearing CMOS etc.

Being an uneducated noob, this is also the first time I've looked into IPMI, so seeing the last three event log items as this:

Code:
2093    05/16/2018 18:24:27    CPU Temperature    Temperature    Upper Non-Recoverable - Going High - Asserted
2092    05/16/2018 18:24:26    CPU Temperature    Temperature    Upper Critical - Going High - Asserted
2091    05/16/2018 18:24:26    CPU Temperature    Temperature    Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Asserted

Between this and my event log pie chart stating 56% of my log is CPU temperature tells me that I this is not good for the machine. I guess despite the cooling I installed last year, it was not enough, and I fear my warranty will be null and void.

Any recommendations as to what to replace it with? I'm using all 12 x SATA ports, and have 2 x 16GB sticks of memory, which I'd like to reuse in a new system, although it seems tricky to find DDR3 ECC which accepts 16GB sticks - most boards seem to max at 32GB via 4 x 8. Anyone had any experience with this (at least active cooling will be mandatory on the CPU unlike the false sense of secutity from the C2750D4I):

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EPC602D8A#Specifications

I'm thinking at present my options are:

- Asrock replace, in which case I have a working board, but for how long?
- Asrock don't replace in which case, am I forced to buy the same again, knowing it works with my config, but knowing there is a relatively widespread issue?
- Asrock don't replace so I replace with something else, and kind of hope my FreeNAS system comes back with all it's data.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Just want to re-iterate the amazing technical support I have received from iXsystems. Two dead boards are on their way back, a new one is awaiting installation. Based on all the stories I have read regarding spotty AsRock support, I am extremely happy that I paid a premium to buy a mini XL.

This saga must be such a drain on resources at iXsystems and it underscores why they deserve our collective support. If only they could get their monthly FreeNAS subscription/support paypal account working again... (hint hint) speaking of which, I cannot find a link to the monetary support pages anymore. Have they gone the way of the Dodo when iXsystems switched the community in-house?

robinbowes

Cadet
I bought my C2750D4I from Scan in the UK in January 2016. It died earlier this year - about 1st June I think. I raised an RMA and sent it back at the end of June. They stayed that it had some scratches and marks on it and would normally not accept it for RMA. They made me sign a form saying the warranty was void before they would agree to return it to AsrockRack.

Fast forward to the end of August, I got a free replacement board sent out to me. My NAS is now back up and running :)

R.

partibrejker

Cadet
Hi,

i was a happy person with little to none problems and a proud owner of a great Freenas system. and then...my FreeNAS just stopped working after 2 and a half years. After checking and rechecking possible solutions i found that i have the same symptoms as people describe here.
I did reseat, minimal configuration, CMOS resetting etc.
I can access IPMI, but nothing else happens. There is no POST, just blank screen out of VGA or through Java app.

I bought C2750D4I in December 2016 from UK online store MINI-ITX and did brian moses 2016 NAS (link).

You guys think i could get replacement since this is obviously known flaw? (https://www.anandtech.com/show/11110/semi-critical-intel-atom-c2000-flaw-discovered)

Adrian

Contributor
Best ask MINI-ITX. You might be lucky.
For what it is worth iXsystems extended the motherboard warranty for all FreeNAS Minis susceptible to the fault to 3 years. After that they will sell a non-susceptible one.

partibrejker

Cadet
well, good news (for me). I got response from ASRock and they said i have extended warranty on this board. I sent them board and will receive repaired, but probably new board.

i will get back to you with information.

partibrejker

Cadet
Hi ASRock just delivered new motherboard. Now i need to put everything back together and see what happens :)

partibrejker

Cadet
everything works perfectly, i wasn't sure i will connect all hdd's properly back, but obviously i did.
All data back and i am a happy man :)

PS: my girls will be even happier when all cartoons come back :)
thx all

Glorious1

Guru
Purchased my C2750D4I on 23/11/2016, think it went in the summer, possibly June. Was travelling with work and other stuff so didn't get a chance to do anything about it. I've raised a support ticket, and have gotten a response from Asrock asking a bunch of stuff about clearing CMOS etc.

Being an uneducated noob, this is also the first time I've looked into IPMI, so seeing the last three event log items as this:

Code:
2093    05/16/2018 18:24:27    CPU Temperature    Temperature    Upper Non-Recoverable - Going High - Asserted
2092    05/16/2018 18:24:26    CPU Temperature    Temperature    Upper Critical - Going High - Asserted
2091    05/16/2018 18:24:26    CPU Temperature    Temperature    Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Asserted

Between this and my event log pie chart stating 56% of my log is CPU temperature tells me that I this is not good for the machine. I guess despite the cooling I installed last year, it was not enough, and I fear my warranty will be null and void.
That's interesting. I got my C2758F back from Supermicro a month or so ago. They said they applied the fix, but wouldn't say what it was. But I notice a distinct difference in CPU temps when under heavy load. The CPU runs much cooler now and doesn't need as much fan speed to keep it reasonable. Coincidence?

tfh

Cadet
My A1SAi-2750F purchased in Aug 2016, bit the bullet earlier this month , is there a chance supermicro will allow me to have it repaired or it is too late ? For what it's worth it's runnning in a supermicro barebone server : SYS-5018A-TN4.
Is there any official way to ask for rma for this specific fault ?

Glorious1

Guru
My A1SAi-2750F purchased in Aug 2016, bit the bullet earlier this month , is there a chance supermicro will allow me to have it repaired or it is too late ? For what it's worth it's runnning in a supermicro barebone server : SYS-5018A-TN4.
Is there any official way to ask for rma for this specific fault ?
Sure, they have an online RMA system. Specify the C-2000 defect. Hopefully they will authorize a return. Mine was from 2014 and they did it.

PhilZJ81

Explorer
Sadly, I have joined the club. my ASRock C2750 shows the symptoms you guys had. Reconnecting the power to the powersupply starts the system for just a few seconds followed by a shutdown. If I was to get a new board, it should just be a matter of plugging in the USB stick, reconnecting the drives and off I go right?

Glorious1

Guru
If you have your configuration saved it may not be too much more complicated than that. But there will still be some things to configure, like your BIOS and IPMI.

PhilZJ81

Explorer
If you have your configuration saved it may not be too much more complicated than that. But there will still be some things to configure, like your BIOS and IPMI.

Thanks for your response, by "configuration saved" do you mean the boot configuration? I thought that is saved on the USB boot drive. I had a few different options when loading. I think I have it exported somewhere on my old laptop too though.

thanks again