FYI, Intel C2000 family of processors: System Fault may lead to dead system.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, of course they have rework stations, but not enough to handle ongoing production and an inrush of old boards that all need repairs. Then they need to be tested and some of those will have to go back to be reworked because something went wrong in the meantime. And all this while they're gearing up for the C3000 production run.

If they just add production capacity, they can switch to C3000 production relatively easily, since the workflow is similar, minimizing the up-front cost of the C2000 repair operation (either straight up adding production capacity or diverting some other production line).

I still wonder what the actual fix is
On a fixed chip, it's going to be a set of larger transistors on the offending pins. Possibly combined with greater spacing.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
I'm going to start an RMA for my Supermicro A1SAi-2750F due to the AVR54 Bug within the next few days. Mainly due to my own curiosity I will compare some characteristic features of sent and returned parts, for example
  • PCB revision number as printed on the motherboard
  • Motherboard serial number (unfortunately just an adhesive label)
  • MAC addresses ad reported by ifconfig (*)
  • IPMI LAN MAC, Version/Revision (*)
(*) In fact I'm retaining of course a complete FreeNAS "Save Debug" output, not just those details.

I'm all ears if someone has ideas to what I should pay attention, to shed light on the question which components of the returned part are new and which ones are refurbished.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
To only way to really tell is to carefully examine some major components.

wywywywy

Dabbler
I got a SuperMicro board with a C2758 recently and I'm starting to be a bit worried.

Does anyone know whether I can tell if the board is affected?

Does SuperMicro do advanced RMA? Because I don't want to be without my FreeNAS for weeks.

And do they RMA even without original receipt?

Thanks.

rogerh

Guru
I got a SuperMicro board with a C2758 recently and I'm starting to be a bit worried.

Does anyone know whether I can tell if the board is affected?

Does SuperMicro do advanced RMA? Because I don't want to be without my FreeNAS for weeks.

And do they RMA even without original receipt?

Thanks.

I imagine if you email your regional SuperMicro office with the serial number you will get a quick answer. If you bought the MB from an approved distributor it is most unlikely they sold you a defective one.

As far as the RMA process is concerned I can only tell you about their European regional policy; they will do an advance RMA if your distributor is willing to administer it. If not, they will demand the old board in advance. I've got the European office email somewhere if it's any use, but it is fairly easy to find the right one on the website if you're not in Europe.

rogerh

Guru
I guess SuperMicro will still repair it. But the precise arrangements will depend on your local SuperMicro policy. And I wouldn't over emphasise the previous owner, just that you don't have the receipt! It is still worth contacting them.

I am dying to find out the truth about it , cause I have 3 board that are affected, but I can't find out if they are affected really or not. Let me share my experience, then tell me what you think:

I have 2 boards Supermicro C2758 from 2016 that I called supermicro about the bug. They ask me for the serial numbers and then told me to RMA them for replacement, despite boards are out of warranty.

All sounds very good and simple , right ?

But I didn't do that, instead I order brand new board that came straight from supermicro , so I can get the lastest board that hopefully don't' have the bug.( that was Oct 2017).
Then I called supermicro gave him the serial of the NEW board I just got and but the serial number they kind of confirm that the board is fixed, but didn't sound convincing to me. So I waited few days and file support form about all my 3 boards( the old 2 and the brand new I just got) to supermicro by giving them my serial numbers. The response was that I have to send all 3 boards back to them for RMA including the new one I just got.

What do you guys make of that ? Are they we just swapping the boards so I can feel better, but still got a board that could die any time ? It seems they can't tell by the serial number now and it seems the revision don't meant anything either ?!

P.S. In a mean time I kept asking relentlessly about how can I tell which one is already fix or not , but they kept avoid it but repeating , RMA, RMA , RMA.

wywywywy

Dabbler
From what I can gather through Supermicro Netherlands' cryptic words, it seems to me that the only thing they can tell is whether a board's serial number has been through the fix.

A new board has not been through the fix (because there's probably no need) they will not have it in their database.

As a update, Supermicro has agreed to RMA my board but refused to do an Advanced RMA, so I still haven't sent it in yet because I need it everyday. If by any chance anyone in the UK can loan/rent me one for a week or two it'd be much appreciated!!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's almost certain that anything assembled since February 2017 will be fixed.

From what I can gather through Supermicro Netherlands' cryptic words, it seems to me that the only thing they can tell is whether a board's serial number has been through the fix.

A new board has not been through the fix (because there's probably no need) they will not have it in their database.

As a update, Supermicro has agreed to RMA my board but refused to do an Advanced RMA, so I still haven't sent it in yet because I need it everyday. If by any chance anyone in the UK can loan/rent me one for a week or two it'd be much appreciated!!

The question is what is the fix, and why first tehy said it was fixed then another guy said to send them all ? Are they confused, or they are just lying.

The advance RMA (cross-ship) they will do for me after charging me $391 for each board(less than what I paid for it) in advance. SO you didn't miss much on advance RMA.

It's almost certain that anything assembled since February 2017 will be fixed.

Yeah but bought mine 2 years ago (I think it manufacturer date was 2015) and base on the same expectation that you are mentioning, I did purchase a new board 2 months ago and the manufacture date of the board was 2014. It came direct from supermicro , it was not some old inventory from a vendor.

How you deal with that ?

Well, it seems like I finally hit this bug with my Supermicro A1SRi-2558F. Purchased 30-11-2015. Suddenly stopped working. On startup, no beeb, no screen, no nothing, even with nothing connected to the mobo. IPMI works (except power up/down/restart etc.). Is there any way to confirm it's actually this bug or something else before I try to RMA?

Redcoat

MVP
My guess is that Supermicro tech support will take you through a "test routine" before setting up the RMA.

But, based on my Asrock 2750D4I experience, it's dead.

I didn't buy it from Supermicro directly, but from a shop in NL. According to Supermicro's website, I have to request RMA via that shop. I whish I could RMA with Supermicro directly. Anyone has any experience with this?

wywywywy

Dabbler
Yea I bought both of mine used on Ebay and had them repaired by Supermicro NL.

I didn't have to show receipt or anything.

rogerh

Guru
That's good news for those in the Netherlands, but when I contacted the relevant Supermicro office for the UK they insisted I contact the original retailer. I would be interested to know if anyone in the UK had a better experience.

P.S. they were happy to RMA a working board via the retailer for a prophylactic fix, which is probably a good idea for anyone who has one of these boards potentially subject to the problem.

wywywywy

Dabbler
No I'm in the UK. Supermicro's EU office is in NL.

Edit - I mean EU RMA office

Edit2 - I'll dig out the emails later today. That might help you.

rogerh

Guru
No I'm in the UK. Supermicro's EU office is in NL.

Edit - I mean EU RMA office

Edit2 - I'll dig out the emails later today. That might help you.

Well they wouldn't do that for me about four months ago! But I did have a known retailer who dealt with it for me.