Full ssd system

Antdonn

Cadet
Hi ,

‘I’m wanting to build a nas system entirely of ssd based drives. The capacity many Cary from 4tb - 8tb and some for redundancy
1. The sound is 0
2. Lower power comsumption
3. Cheaper

is there any advise you can give me, as I’ve read many articles, and am confused as a can of spaghetti, plus I’m not a millionaire to afford iornwolf drives.

Thanks in advance

antdonn

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
1. The sound is 0
Not so fast... you still need to cool the system and the HDD spin isn't the loudest sound in most systems, it's the fans.

You can argue that SSDs can usually run a bit hotter than spinning drives and have good lifespan.

2. Lower power comsumption
This can be the case if compared to 7200 RPM dsks, but the difference between the higher performing SSDs and 5400RPM drives is less than you might expect.

You'll save on spin-up, but in a 24x7 system, that's a few times a year.

If you push drives into sleep using @Glorious1's script, you may find some power saving, but it will not be automatic.

3. Cheaper
I don't know where you're shopping, but unless you mean for a system with a lower storage capacity, you're dreaming. Either that or send us the link to the shop.

Antdonn

Cadet
Thanks for the input, believe me it’s taken onboard. The entire view is to take a bunch of ssd drives, cooling not a problem, fans, well it will be in a server room. And cost, generally good quality ssd, drives with 1/2 setup for failure. With the view in the future of expanding this, further for dats, and build a replica off site as well.

Has anyone done this , without mechanical drives. As I read a lot about trim ect. It’s 2019 ! Technology has moved on.

sretalla