FTP lose connection and get really slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico

Dabbler
Hello, I am using FreeNAS v.8 and setup my FTP server, but when I transfer files to the server it loses connection and then it tries to connect again. When I restart the server it works for another 5minuts.
I am on a gigabit lan, and useing CAT6 cables.

Anyone who can help?

joeschmuck

Old Man
First you don't give enough information for anyone to help you so please post your system configuration (hardware). Post which version of FreeNAS 8.x that you are using. I recommend updating to 8.0.1 Beta-4 64-bit and try again.

Nico

Dabbler
FreeNAS 8.2 BETA4
Hardware:
ZOTAC ION ITX A-E (with integrated Atom 2x 1.6Ghz CPU, Onboard PSU, WLAN)
4GB DDR2 Ram
1x 250gb 7200rpm Harddrive (For FreeNAS system)
4x 1TB 7200rpm Harddrive (2 x Connected through USB2 and 2 x SATA connected)
1x 2TB 7200rpm Harddrive (Connected through USB2)
1x Gigabit Lan (Using CAT6 cables)

Is I still missing something?

Thanks for help

joeschmuck

Old Man
Pretty ambitious using all those USB connections for storage drives but I don't think that would cause a failure but I guess it could. How are the Volumes (pools) setup? 32 bit (i386) or 64 bit (AMD) software? I think you're a little light on the RAM, 4GB seem low for all the drives your are using if you are using ZFS.

For your GBit LAN, do you have any "Hubs" between the NAS and the computer doing the transfer? I only ask because hubs are prone to packet collisions where switches are not. Hubs use to be popular due to cost but switches are less expensive now.

When you are transferring files, is is typically one large file or many small files? (small = 2MB or smaller IMO, and large = 5GB or more, everything else is medium sized, again IMO)

What error messages do you receive? You may need to tune your kmem values if you are using ZFS. Search for kmem and you will find several postings.

you have 3 drives on USB????? that raises an eye brow...
how are your drives arranged?

can you plug a monitor to the server and watch what it says when it fails.

Nico

Dabbler
Each on the USB has there own connection, no usb hubs or anything like that. I don't get any error when I connect a screen to the server..
I transfer files from 15mb to 4gb. It's a mix. Maybe I just have to upgrade my hardware and see if that helps, with a new server

joeschmuck

Old Man
Do you really need all those drives? My recommendation is to not use USB drives for your data but your boot drive will be fine as USB and you don't need a hard drive for that unless that's really what you want. You still need to tell us how your drives are configured, ZFS, UDF, RAIDZ1, Mirrors, etc... What version are you running? What you have for hardware, I think you can get away with 4 drives on the SATA connections running the Beta-4 64-bit version. If you need to upgrade, I'd upgrade the hard drives to all SATA that the MB can handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.