From TrueNAS Core 12 Nightly to TrueNAS Core 12 Final?

Asghan

Cadet
Hello guys,

is there already any idea/plan if it will be possible to switch from the current nightlies of TrueNAS 12 to the final version?

Background:
I am running a minimum TrueNAS server (Latte Panda Alpha (m3-8100y CPU, 8GB RAM, 64GB eMMC Storage and 1x M2 SSD) all running in a passive cooling case) and with FreeNAS 11.3 (no mather if 11.3, U1 or U2), I cannot install the OS on the internal eMMC storage, but need to run it from an USB device. With TrueNAS 12 Nightly the installation on the internal eMMC storage works perfectly fine and I get back one USB 3.0 slot.
Therefore I'd like to stick to the 12 Nightly, but I am not very motivated to reinstall and reconfigure everything once TrueNAS 12 final is out.
(I use this setup for some docker containers and pushing files into the clound over night when my connection is idling, in the near future a Torrent Tracker will be added.

Best regards and greetings from southern Germany (Stuttgart)
Philip

Yorick

Wizard
“Not supported”. I do not expect there to be a way to switch trains once you are on Nightly.

Keep in mind though that you don’t need to “reconfigure everything”. You should be taking a daily config backup via cron; cloud-syncing that is also a good idea. With a backed up config (careful if you encrypt your data store - make sure that key is somewhere safe), you can reinstall FreeNAS and then just restore the config, and you will be right back where you started.

That said: Why not wait another few weeks and upgrade to 12 alpha 1 from 11.3, instead of going through nightly builds.

Asghan

Cadet
Sounds like a good idea, thank you :)
So, reading between the lines, upgrading from "12 alpha 1" to "12 final" should be possible later on?

Yorick

Wizard
That’s my understanding. I’d wait until the train is available, and, in the past, it was possible to “follow along” in an alpha / beta / RC / stable train.

pitbullb

Cadet
That’s my understanding. I’d wait until the train is available, and, in the past, it was possible to “follow along” in an alpha / beta / RC / stable train.
So I see there is a Jira entry for 12.0-ALPHA1 (100%) and 12.0-ALPHA2 (96%), but is there/will there be an installer which is in the alpha -> beta -> RC -> stable train?

Thank you.

Yorick

Wizard
Following along loosely with the nightlies, I don't see alpha1 as "ready for public testing", and maybe not alpha2. I'm only seeing a tiny slice of the functionality, and even that slice has parts that won't work until Beta1 at the earliest.

husky1055

Dabbler
I am on 11.3-U3.2 but I will be building a new Truenas core. When is the final 12 release is expected?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It has already been confirmed by @Kris Moore (IIRC) that you will be able to switch from nightly to beta to release.
As for the time frame: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/truenas-12-0-schedule.85194/

I expect to be able to run production systems on TrueNAS core within 4 weeks or so. Carefully and selected systems, but hey, you got to put some load on these things to find rough edges. I am running the nightlies at home, already. Samba was broken for 3 or 4 days for Mac clients, but apart from that not a single show stopper so far.

husky1055

Dabbler
Thank you for the heads up. I am really looking forward to Truenas. Lots of decisions have to be made including but not exclusive to hardware. So much to do so little time left!!!

B-Rad

Cadet
It has already been confirmed by @Kris Moore (IIRC) that you will be able to switch from nightly to beta to release.
As for the time frame: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/truenas-12-0-schedule.85194/

I expect to be able to run production systems on TrueNAS core within 4 weeks or so. Carefully and selected systems, but hey, you got to put some load on these things to find rough edges. I am running the nightlies at home, already. Samba was broken for 3 or 4 days for Mac clients, but apart from that not a single show stopper so far.

@Patrick M. Hausen have you found any more info on the change over? I appear to be stuck on the night train and haven't found much on how to get off.

Cheers!