Freezing FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenixgg

Dabbler
Hi Guys

I recently got my FreeNAS box up and running and I have successfully copied most of my data onto the machine. When I tried to copy an HD movie file (3.5 GB) from the FreeNAS box to my main pc, the freenas machine keeps freezing.

It gives me the following message on the freenas screen. I can't do anything to the machine, except to restart it manually. The internet browser page is also inaccessible once it has frozen. There are no errors on the webpage before it freezes.

I have attached a pic of the message I get. Any advice would be appreciated.

The message on screen is:
vm_page_free: pindex(90176), busy(1), VPO_BUSY(0), hold(0)
panic: vm_page_free: freeing busy page
cpuid = 1
Uptime :2m52s

IMG_1161.jpg

I have been trying to get the NAS to work. It is on occasion giving me the following error and when I restart it, it boots fine and then just restarts.

IMG_1162.jpg

ProtoSD

MVP
You're either using the x86 version or don't have enough memory, or both ;)

You need to post which version of FreeNAS you're using ie. 8.04 x86 OR x64 etc.

Phoenixgg

Dabbler
I downloaded the x64 version with 8 GB of memory. Is there some way to check the version?

ProtoSD

MVP
There's a tab called "System Information" in the GUI. It has the build name/version information.

What else can you tell us about your hardware?

Phoenixgg

Dabbler
I am currently using an AMD dual core pc, see the specs below
Motherboard: MS-A75MA-G55
Processor: AD300DC/FM1
memory : 2x 4GB
8GB flash drive
3x 2TB seagate hard drives in RAIDZ

I will check the build version when I finish work.

Phoenixgg

Dabbler
I checked the build information
FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p2-x64 (11367)

I appear to be able to copy files up to 1.5 GB. If they are bigger, it will copy the first 1.5GB and then Windows will either give me a copy error or the NAS will give an error and freeze.

Phoenixgg

Dabbler
I was reading older posts regarding a similar problem and someone suggested that it might be a memory problem. I removed one of the RAM chips and the files are downloading successfully everytime. When I put the RAM chip back in, it is still working. How can I test my memory to see if there is something faulty or should I just assume that it will work correctly now?

ProtoSD

MVP
There is an app you can download called memtest, I think it's an ISO or possibly you can copy it to a flash drive and boot to it. It does a very thorough job testing memory, but you need to let it run several passes. http://www.memtest.org/

paleoN

Wizard
There is an app you can download called memtest, I think it's an ISO or possibly you can copy it to a flash drive and boot to it. It does a very thorough job testing memory, but you need to let it run several passes. http://www.memtest.org/
You say that like you have never used it! :eek: For the record there is an auto USB installer if you have access to a Windows machine.

I usually jut let it run overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.