Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

FreeNAS & TrueNAS Plans - 2020 and Beyond!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Besides the ZoL addition to TrueNAS 12 - is there any FreeBSD 12 fundamental changes which will be useful? Or signficiant?

I know that there's apparently some Bhyve changes?
For SMB users a couple of things that are useful:
- Long mountpoint names are supported (in some edge cases with long / nested datasets shadow copy restore would fail with ENAMETOOLONG). This is fixed in FBSD 12.
- Samba changes (TrueNAS-specific), new libtevent backend based on kqueue and new AIO. Appears to be significantly more performant (but it's new so I'm still fixing bugs as I find them).
- I moved removed a lot of string manipulations from shadow_copy_zfs, and added some optimizations. For example, struct smb_fname was expanded to also store snapshot data so that operations inside the module are simpler.

diskdiddler

Dedicated Sage
- Samba changes (TrueNAS-specific), new libtevent backend based on kqueue and new AIO. Appears to be significantly more performant (but it's new so I'm still fixing bugs as I find them).

Due to renaming the product, this is now difficult to identify if you mean TrueNAS TrueNAS or FreeNAS (TrueNAS)

Yorick

Neophyte Sage
It’s literally the same code base. He means TrueNAS. With or without an Enterprise license applied.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Better to say TrueNAS 12.0... its more technically clear... applies to CORE or Enterprise.