FreeNAS Time Capsule no longer works with 10.7 Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

blusubaru

Cadet
FreeNAS Time Capsule no longer works with 10.7 Lion

Was working fine this morning using Snow Leopard. Now Time Machine comes up with a warning. "The network backup disk does not support the required AFP features.

Usually the mounting and backup is automatic. So I manually mounted the AFP share, still didn't work. I manually mounted the sparse bundle (as you have to do when doing a restore with FreeNAS8), didn't work. My other three Macs are backing up as they should (still Snow Leopard).

Screen shot attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-20 at 8.26.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-07-20 at 8.26.03 PM.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 339

blusubaru

Cadet
I see that several people had report this in the GM of Lion, but I'm running the public release that was out today - as such I hope I'm not stepping on any toes with a STFF situation.

FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-amd64

andymemo

Dabbler
I second blusubaru on this fault. I had Snow Leopard last night - TimeMachine worked fine. Updated to Lion this morning - TimeMachine is a no-go, same error.

Im going to take a wild guess that Apple turned on some more proprietary options required for a network HDD to be used as TimeMachine backup. I reckon if I walked down the road and bought an Apple Time Capsule it would work! Hmm :D

Hopefully someone will be able to assist with this thread. I will open a support ticket.

Andy

*FreeNAS-8.0-Beta4_x64*

garth

Dabbler
It looks like what was warnings about missing AFP features under 10.6 are now errors preventing Time Machine from continuing. I don't think this gets fixed until FreeNAS adopts Netatalk 2.2 - maybe the next 8.x.y beta could include the latest Netatalk 2.2 beta?

garth

Dabbler
Netatalk 2.2 final is a long way off for the community

So in looking around at resolutions for this today, I ran across this

http://www.netafp.com/open-letter-to-the-netatalk-community-501/

And without getting into a debate about the legality of what they are doing, it's clear that there will be no community release of Netatalk 2.2 for the foreseeable future.

I have also seen comments that FreeNAS will not include Netatalk 2.2 until it the final release.

This seems to put any movement towards adopting OS X Lion and using FreeNAS as a Time Capsule at a standstill.

So my question for the maintainers of FreeNAS is: Will you package an 8.x release using Netatalk 2.2 Beta 4? I think there are alot of users who would appreciate it!

Thanks.

blusubaru

Cadet
Dhcast128

"Apple disables support for the “DHCAST128″ in OS X 10.7 LION , which is commonly used by NAS boxes. Apple thinks it is insufficiently secure. So all the Vendors must work with Apple for Lion compatibility. However there is a workaround. You simply turn on or enable, DHCAST128 in Lion. Heres how you do it .."
I've followed this workaround and not have positive results, but yet another explanation of why the problem now exists.

http://icomputernrd.blogspot.com/2011/07/freenas-fix-for-afp-connection-issues.html

garth

Dabbler
Enabling DHCAST128 will let you connect to AFP servers that have not enabled the dhx2 uam. Beta 4 now includes this uam by default. Enabling DHCAST128 will not let you use Time Machine

blusubaru

Cadet
roll back

Well, after several things were broken with my Lion upgrade (no audio, no Carbonite, no FreeNAS, corrupt SSD...) I've rolled back to Snow Leopard using my FreeNAS Time Machine backup.

garth

Dabbler
Netatalk 2.2.0 is now on Sourceforge - with all the lovely bits for Lion AFP and Time Machine. So now it needs to make its way to BSD ports, and then the excellent maintainers here can pull it into FreeNAS 8!

Status
Not open for further replies.