FreeNAS System considerations

Bozon

Contributor
I am still trying to figure out what type of system that I want to build.

I have been lurking on the forum for awhile soaking up information, and processing it.

I have some questions about something like this:

https://www.theserverstore.com/SuperMicro-6027R-W-X9DRI-LN4F-12x-2U-LFF-Server

Is this a good server, and a good deal? I heard of 1 user that used these outside of a rack. Does anyone know if this is possible with this system?
Anyone know how loud something like this would be?

Thanks for any input.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is this a good server, and a good deal?
I have done some price matching before and the vendor there is usually on the high side of what you could do if you went and found a bargain on your own. So, you are paying a little premium to have someone put it together for you.
I heard of 1 user that used these outside of a rack.
I use rack mount servers as tower servers by standing them on their side, but the ones I use are 4U (thicker) where this one is only 2U (thinner) so you would need to be very cautious it didn't fall over. Falling is not good for any computer.
Does anyone know if this is possible with this system?
Why wouldn't it be? Like I said, it is narrow, so it won't be super stable. Just be careful.
Anyone know how loud something like this would be?
It depends on a few things, but the thin units typically rely on high speed fans to push enough air through the system to not only keep the drives cool, but also keep the processors cool. That usually equates to louder than you might like and if you slow it down, it will overheat. That is part of the reason I use 4U servers instead of the thin ones.
If it is too loud, you can always build a sound insulating enclosure like this:

ghetto acoustic by jgreco
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-mb-cpu-hds-recommendations.24453/post-255614

JaimieV

Guru
I use rack mount servers as tower servers by standing them on their side

Holy crap. Mind blown. Why didn't I ever think of that? It'd make my setup so much easier!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Holy crap. Mind blown. Why didn't I ever think of that? It'd make my setup so much easier!
Just be cautious about the stability so they don't topple over. I have something on either side so there is no way they can be bumped and knocked over.

Bozon

Contributor
I was thinking about attaching a piece of angle iron to the front to make a front stability bar. If I add some duct tape, I could get a redneck patent.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Bozon

Contributor