SOLVED RYZEN - FreeNAS stops working after a while

TGVoid

Dabbler
I frequently get this error for all of my shares on Windows 10:
1593706320748.png

The only way to resolve it is by restarting my FreeNAS machine as the web interface doesn't work when this happens. I once tried plugging in a TV to see if there was any video output, but there isn't any even though all fans are spinning. After resetting the machine and waiting a few minutes, everything works, including the web interface, all shares, and video output.

EDIT: Forgot my NAS specs
- AMD Ryzen 5 1600
- ASRock AB350 Pro4
- 1x 8GB Corsair Vengeance CL15 3000 MHz (comes in a 2x8GB kit)
- Zotac GTX 1050
Boot:
- Sandisk ReadyCache 32 GB
Other Storage:
- 2x Seagate ST2000DM008 (SMR drives)
- 1x Seagate ST1000DMZ10 (CMR; has some signs of failing but I don't care too much about the data)

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This sounds like a hardware problem, possibly due to overheating. Can you relate the details of your installation? In particular, your motherboard, please.

TGVoid

Dabbler
This sounds like a hardware problem, possibly due to overheating. Can you relate the details of your installation?
If you mean the actual hardware, I edited the post
As for cooling, it's not in a case at the moment and is on top of the motherboard box. I'm using the stock cooler on the CPU and GPU with no other fans

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Make sure ALL overclocking settings, especially those with respect to the RAM, are disabled in the BIOS. The RAM should not be using an over-clocked XMP profile. Use one of the vanilla RAM profiles.

Yorick

Wizard
Ryzen in particular: Turn off C6 and/or Cool'N'Quiet power states, these are known to cause FreeNAS to "lock up" on Ryzen platforms.

TGVoid

Dabbler
I've turned off Global CState Control, Cool N Quiet, Core Performance Boost, and set XMP to "auto" instead of a certain profile, and I haven't gotten any crashes recently.

pschatz100

Guru
This is really helpful information. Please edit the title to include Ryzen and mark the thread solved. That will make it easier to find when others are searching.