FreeNAS Server since May 2014 - recommended maintenance after this time ?

ethereal

Guru
hello.

this is my first server. but i have used a variety of computers since my zx81. all of my pcs have been self built and i'd usually do yearly maintenance to them - open them up and give them a good clean especially the fans. i don't think i've had a pc for 5 years i have usually upgraded them.

i would like to know what maintenance people generally do with their servers or do they just leave them alone until they die and then replace with new. i have been cleaning the server and case fans about every year. i have been lucky because i have had my case for about 8 years and i haven't had to replace a fan (only an led).

i do have huntingtons disease which at the moment has affected me more physically than mentally - i lose my balance and don't really have a good touch anymore.
so my wife and 10 year old son help.

so what do you recommend leave it alone because you might break it or do maintenance to increase the servers life ?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
10-15 years life out of a high quality server isn't shocking.

Canned air on a hot computer is a bad idea. The canned air comes out cold and can kill running components. Power it down and let it cool, and then gently blow it out. Thermal shock of electronic components is a thing.

Compressed air is a bad idea as most compressors use oil and compressed air will leave an oily residue that attracts dust. This will break things.

If you want to get fancy, use a Metro DataVac to blow safe ESD-free air while using a Shop Vac with HEPA filter to suck up the blown air on the far side. This significantly reduces dust being freed into your indoor environment. (*ProTip!)

Lock your fans prior to blowing. Stick a straw or other plastic impediment in them to stop them from spinning. Fans with speed sensors can have their electronics ruined, and standard fans can turn into wind turbines, generating power and screwing up your mainboard or PSU.

If you are using something like a Supermicro with their normal industrial grade fans, the reliability spec on those is usually along the lines that 90% are expected to still be functional after 8 years. Not unusual to see these outlive the server chassis.

Listen to the fans when running at full speed to see if any sound "off" or "odd". Replace any that seem unhappy. Then if you have IPMI, check the reported fan speeds at 100% and make sure they're running at rated speed. You can probably safely just compare identical fans to each other.

If you are using prosumer grade PC fans (Noctua etc) expect that their lifespans may be significantly shorter, and replace where/if in doubt. We date consumables such as fans, CMOS batteries, etc., so we can replace "old" stuff.

Replace CMOS batteries every 3-4 years, more often if the server spends any significant amount of time powered off.

Not a bad time to do firmware updates if any exist.

Redcoat

MVP

ethereal

Guru
10-15 years life out of a high quality server isn't shocking.

Canned air on a hot computer is a bad idea. The canned air comes out cold and can kill running components. Power it down and let it cool, and then gently blow it out. Thermal shock of electronic components is a thing.

Compressed air is a bad idea as most compressors use oil and compressed air will leave an oily residue that attracts dust. This will break things.

If you want to get fancy, use a Metro DataVac to blow safe ESD-free air while using a Shop Vac with HEPA filter to suck up the blown air on the far side. This significantly reduces dust being freed into your indoor environment. (*ProTip!)

Lock your fans prior to blowing. Stick a straw or other plastic impediment in them to stop them from spinning. Fans with speed sensors can have their electronics ruined, and standard fans can turn into wind turbines, generating power and screwing up your mainboard or PSU.

If you are using something like a Supermicro with their normal industrial grade fans, the reliability spec on those is usually along the lines that 90% are expected to still be functional after 8 years. Not unusual to see these outlive the server chassis.

Listen to the fans when running at full speed to see if any sound "off" or "odd". Replace any that seem unhappy. Then if you have IPMI, check the reported fan speeds at 100% and make sure they're running at rated speed. You can probably safely just compare identical fans to each other.

If you are using prosumer grade PC fans (Noctua etc) expect that their lifespans may be significantly shorter, and replace where/if in doubt. We date consumables such as fans, CMOS batteries, etc., so we can replace "old" stuff.

Replace CMOS batteries every 3-4 years, more often if the server spends any significant amount of time powered off.

Not a bad time to do firmware updates if any exist.

i don't use compressed air - i did buy this - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...NDWhVIR60R7RcBoCUesQAvD_BwE&lsft=BI:514&smp=Y

i didn't remember the cmos battery - thank you

jgreco

Resident Grinch

I'm sure that's fine. I do suggest a vac on the far side to pick up dust. That was the other point I wanted to make... vacs create significant potential for ESD, so do NOT run your vac around the interior of a server.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Care to recommend a brand/model for aftermarket component purchase?

Sunon, Nidec, and Sanyo Denki are the fan manufacturers that come to mind for high quality fans. The downside is that it can be difficult to find what you're looking for in their massive catalogs, and they'll be ten times what you might expect to pay for a cheap China-sourced generic PC fan. Generally the fans from these companies are devices that get integrated into industrial gear that may rarely or never be serviced. That mindset, and much less focus on "cost! cheap PC's require cheap parts!" yields these great components that are admittedly probably overkill for a home system.

If you're interested in this but are dismayed by the prospect of having to find a reasonable option, let me tell you a little secret: Supermicro has done a lot of the work for you. Find a Supermicro chassis that is similar to what your use case is and check out how they fanned it. It'll give you some clues, and often you can pick up the Supermicro version of a fan, brand new, a lot cheaper than the retail Sunon/Nidec/etc.

And you can find some very interesting products. I think one of my favorite "unusual" fans has got to be the Sanyo Denki SanAce40 9CR0412S513, we still have some of these left around from the early days of 1U servers where sometimes you just had to make up for crappy chassis design with massive airflow. These things are just one step down from a jet engine IMO, and it's always fun to surprise someone in the shop with "look at this."

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm sure that's fine. I do suggest a vac on the far side to pick up dust. That was the other point I wanted to make... vacs create significant potential for ESD, so do NOT run your vac around the interior of a server.
I have been using these ESD safe vacuums for everything at work since around 1997 and have not had problems with them.
https://atrix.com/applications/electronics-esd-safe-laser-toner/
Sometimes the combination of blowing from one side and sucking from the other is enough, but I also have used brushes to dislodge stubborn dust accumulations.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I have been using these ESD safe vacuums for everything at work since around 1997 and have not had problems with them.
https://atrix.com/applications/electronics-esd-safe-laser-toner/
Sometimes the combination of blowing from one side and sucking from the other is enough, but I also have used brushes to dislodge stubborn dust accumulations.

Yeah, but you're not going to be able to convince hobbyists with an infrequent need to clean equipment to buy that.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yeah, but you're not going to be able to convince hobbyists with an infrequent need to clean equipment to buy that.
I suppose that is true. I don't have one for home.