SOLVED FreeNAS reboot changes ssh keys

websmith

Dabbler
Hi,

I have a weird issue.

I have two FreeNAS machines - one is used as a backup target/storage server - the other to host virtual machines disks.

I have setup replication between the two FreeNAS machines - and I have also setup backup from a vcenter machine to the backup FreeNAS machine.

But every single time I reboot my backup FreeNAS it seems like it regenerates its ssh host keys because both the other FreeNAS and the vcenter complains about ssh key changed and refuses to either backup and replicate (as they should).

It seems like it started happening when I upgraded my FreeNAS to 11.3 from 11.1.

Any ideas on what to do?

It quickly gets old to update known_hosts on machines because my FreeNAS keeps changing its ssh keys.

Both FreeNAS machines are running 11.3 latest update - and both was upgraded from 11.1 -> 11.3

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
But every single time I reboot my backup FreeNAS it seems like it regenerates its ssh host keys because both the other FreeNAS and the vcenter complains about ssh key changed and refuses to either backup and replicate (as they should).
If I recall correctly, the "key regeneration at bootup" was a bug in 11.3U3 - make sure you upgrade to 11.3U3.2, which fixes that and the "failure to start Samba service" bug as well.

websmith

Dabbler
Thanks,

Updated to U3.2 that seems to have fixed the issue.

EDIT: It did not fix it, the reboot after the update also changed the host keys.

I will try to reboot once more after having updated my known_hosts and see if it was the last time it updated, or if the bug is still there

EDIT2: Ok it seems like when I rebooted the second time the keys were the same, so an initial reboot was required after the update before the keys were stable.

Last edited: