SOLVED FreeNAS: Power outage and configuration wiped on reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abasel

Dabbler
I am using FreeNAS is FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 (e1497f269).

I Had a power-outage and when I switched my FreeNAS box back the config file was completely wiped i.e. lost the static IP, hostname, all users, all volumes, shares, plugins, jails etc.

This was a new install that was completed only a day ago. Is there some master save button that I need to have pressed or that might have gone wrong. It was all working before.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well the obvious answer here is to get a UPS so this doesn't happen again. But in the GUI you can save your config and restore it after a fresh install. The steps are listed in the manual.

abasel

Dabbler
Hi, yeah the UPS alas failed so that needs to be looked at. My question is this. I did not reinstall so why was the configuration wiped or does FreeNAS do a reinstall automatically every reboot?

abasel

Dabbler
Aah think I found it

"Note
you can access the Console Setup menu from within the FreeNAS® GUI by typing /etc/netcli from Shell. You can disable the Console Setup menu by unchecking the “Enable Console Menu” in System ‣ Advanced."

abasel

Dabbler
Ok so have seen something else. The Grub menu defaults to FreeNAS (Initial-Install). There is a 2nd option, "Boot Environment Menu" and this appears to be the option that has all my settings.

I am interested as to where the 2nd option came from (or rather why the 1st one was still there).

abasel

Dabbler
Ok so I nearly understand what is requited (but not quite).

In the boot options (under system)
default is active Now and set to Keep
Initial-Install is active on Reboot and not set to Keep

How do I make default active now and on reboot.

Ok so I just worked it out. I had to click "Activate" :)

gpsguy

Even though you were able to recover, you should take @Jailer 's advice in post #2 and backup your configuration file for safe keeping. There are scripts on the forum to automate it. Should your boot device fail in the future, having a configuration backup will be a godsend.

Status
Not open for further replies.