SOLVED FreeNAS Pool Migration, iSCSI doesn’t show devices

c2cahoon

Cadet
Hello All,
I recently migrated a pair of zvol’s from one FreeNAS machine to another. I have copied the iSCSI configuration screens side by side to ensure they are correct.
At this time it appears I am able to connect and establish the iSCSI path but no devices will pass through.
My intent is to set this up between FreeNAS and ESX however I created a new set of configuration and duplicated this from FreeNAS to Windows.

I was able to reproduce the problem in a clean environment, I setup a new FreeNAS installation, Configured iSCSI and a 100GB zvol and I can connect but not see any devices.

I was able to setup 11.1-U7 and using the same configuration everything works as expected.
It appears there is a bug with version 11.2-U5.

Has anyone else noticed this, or any ideas on how to further troubleshoot?

Thanks,

c2cahoon

c2cahoon

Cadet
Here is the config from a high level.

CHAP is working as I needed to apply the username/password for it to show connected in Windows, if I apply the wrong information I receive a definite error.

This is what leads me to believe that the connection is working but the devices aren't coming through.

Attachments

• iscsi-1.png
    iscsi-1.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 329
  • iscsi-2.png
    iscsi-2.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 338
  • iscsi-3.png
    iscsi-3.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 314
  • iscsi-4.png
    iscsi-4.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 329
  • iscsi-5.png
    iscsi-5.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 304
  • iscsi-6.png
    iscsi-6.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 303
  • iscsi-7.png
    iscsi-7.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 342
  • iscsi-8.png
    iscsi-8.png
    14 KB · Views: 350

c2cahoon

Cadet
I was able to get the iSCSI luns mounted to both VMware and Windows.
The only change was setting the LUN ID from 501, 502 to 101 and 102 respectively.
From the FreeNAS documentation
LUN ID integer Select or enter a value between 0 and 1023 . Some initiators expect a value less than 256 . Use unique LUN IDs for each associated target.​
Turns out if I just RTFM a little closer I’d have probably saved myself some Excedrin.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I appreciate you circling back to post the resulting fix, even if it wasn't someone here who helped you solve it. Hopefully another user with a similar issue will find this page in the future.

Worth noting is that while VMware does allow LUN IDs greater than 255 (up to 1023 in 6.0, and 16383 in 6.5) there may be other hardware limitations in play, such as a hardware initiator having a "maximum number of connected LUNs" and expecting them to be contiguous from 0-255 rather than "any 256 LUNs in a range from 0-16383" - you may want to check and see if there's something similar going on in your case if it worked on a different machine/software install.