FreeNAS Plugins vs. BSD Jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugeboard

Dabbler
Hi,

Quick general architecture question (that has probably been adressed somewhere but cant find where...) on plugins in 8.2.

I really like relying on BSD Jails for "non core" features in FreeNAS, mainly for data integrity and security reasons. Giving data and network access to the Jail sorftawe take some effort that means that you have to understand what you are doing!

There is one thing I dont get in FreeNas 8.2 which make me wonder whether I missed something. I have the feeleing that (in the GUI) you are acreatin one single Jail environment where you are going to pile up all additional pieces of software. In my views, one shoud be able to create as many Jails as they would have "security levels", for example one Jail for multimedia stuff, one Jails that can be accessed from outside local network, a staging Jail for funky software ...

Thanks to let me see how far I am in my understanding of the FreeNAS Plugin concept?
H

ProtoSD

MVP
You nailed it on the head. For now the developers are just trying to get the functionality working for plugins, then I think I saw mention of support for more jails using the GUI. If you know what you are doing, you could copy the Plugin jail and add the proper entries to /conf/base/etc/rc.conf to load other copies of those jails, and add appropriate fstab entries to create nullfs mountpoints for those jails.
You would also need to manage them from the command line.

-- Proto

hugeboard

Dabbler
OK, thanks for the clarification. I actually used your "howto" to create a Serviio Jail so I went through all the steps you mention. Thanks for all your work, BTW!

The good thing about multiple Jails manageable from the GUI would be to startup or shutdown a jail online. At least, a "CtrlC/CtrlV" for the plugin Jail is a good start!

Status
Not open for further replies.