FreeNAS & Plex Media Server

Nanobug

Cadet
Hello FreeNAS forums!

I have a bunch of questions regarding this Plex Media Server I've been using for a while.
The issue is, that my PC isn't that much up to date anymore...
My PC setup is:
i7-3770K
16 GB 1600 MHz RAM
GTX 1660 Ti
256 GB Samsung EVO 840 EVO
1 TB Western Digital HDD

I'm not sure of the exact model of the 1 TB HDD, and I'm not at home, so I can't tell you right now.

I've Googled, asked friends, and they've asked their friends, and I can't find the answer, at least not yet.

Since my system is not up to date, I'm planning on building a system, with FreeNAS, since they have the 2 features I'm looking for:
Plex Media Server
onwCloud

The thing is, right now I'm using my setup for everything, workstation, playing, streaming.
And since my GF likes to stream HD videos (problaly 2k and 4k in the future) from it now and then. The playing and streaming can't be done. So I'm shutting off the Plex Media Server, until I'm done.

I've enabled hardware acceleration, but that didn't help much.

I can also see, that the Plex Media Server can only use hardware acceleration when you have an Intel CPU from a certain generation and later.

So one of my questions is:
Is it better to get a midrange CPU with a GPU?
or
A high end CPU without a GPU?

Bonus question:
If I do not need a GPU to properly do the transcoding, would an AMD Threadripper do the job properly?

I guess it comes down to:
Is it even worth getting a GPU, or is the better choice to choose a good CPU?

Another question reagarding storage:
WS Red vs Seagate Iron Wolf?
- Which one is the choice to go for? I've looked around, and I can't seem to find out what I should use.

This is what I found out about them:
### WD Red

**Specifications**

* NAS firmware: WD NASware
* Storage capacity: 1TB up to and including 10TB
* Cache memory: 64MB-256MB
* Hard drive speed: 5,400RPM
* Energy-efficient: Yes
* WD Red is somewhat more economical and cooler than Seagate IronWolf.
* WD Red has a lower drive speed than Seagate IronWolf.

### Seagate IronWolf

**Specifications**

* NAS firmware: Seagate AgileArray
* Storage capacity: 1TB up to and including 12T
* Cache memory: 64MB-256MB
* Hard drive speed: 5,900-7,200RPM
* Energy-efficient: Only at capacities from 10TB onwards
* Software: IronWolf Health Management for Synology NAS
* Seagate IronWolf has a higher drive speed than WD Red.
* Seagate IronWolf is somewhat louder and hotter than WD Red.

Also, I'd like to use either RAID 0 or RAID10.
Is that even worth it to spend twice the money on NAS drives then?

I know some of the questions might not be relevant here, but I hope you can help me anyway, or at least point me in the right direction.

GBillR

Contributor
My suggestion - read the resources here on this site. There are plenty of good documents and literally thousands of threads... just like yours. It doesn't sound like you need FreeNAS to accomplish what you want.... just build a new all-in-one workstation and you'll likely be happier.

You need to ask yourself: Why do I want a NAS? Do I need one? If yes, and you decide to go the FreeNAS route, plan on building a machine that is just a NAS. Sure, you can and should add some jails or a VM to run a plex server and/or a cloud server solution... but again, you have to decide if that's what you need.

I'm not trying to discourage you from exploring FreeNAS. But, unless you understand the limitations and requirements of FreeNAS, (and I am not sure you do based on some of your questions) you'll just end up spending more money than you need, or end up with a half-a$$ed FreeNAS box that doesn't meet your expectations.

You don't need or want a graphics card in your FreeNAS server. Stick with an Intel CPU and a server MB. Plex inside FreeNAS can easily handle 4k streams... no graphics card needed/used/desired. It's pure CPU horsepower. Checkout passmark to see if the CPU you have in mind scores well enough for streaming. If you need to transcode the stream, that can take some muscle, but most any modern CPU that you'd use for FreeNAS will handle it fine.

For hard drives, the beauty of FreeNAS is that you can throw just about any drive it there and (IF you build the pool correctly and have a backup solution/plan), you will be okay. This is the one area where you can likely save some money if you want. Personally, I use WD Reds (the 5400 rpm ones), but many others use different. Read backblaze a bit if you're curious about reliability by different OEMs. NAS drives are a good investment, but not necessary if you have built the server correctly and have a backup plan... even ZFS does not negate the need for backups.

Good luck.

Nanobug

Cadet
My suggestion - read the resources here on this site. There are plenty of good documents and literally thousands of threads... just like yours. It doesn't sound like you need FreeNAS to accomplish what you want.... just build a new all-in-one workstation and you'll likely be happier.

You need to ask yourself: Why do I want a NAS? Do I need one? If yes, and you decide to go the FreeNAS route, plan on building a machine that is just a NAS. Sure, you can and should add some jails or a VM to run a plex server and/or a cloud server solution... but again, you have to decide if that's what you need.

I'm not trying to discourage you from exploring FreeNAS. But, unless you understand the limitations and requirements of FreeNAS, (and I am not sure you do based on some of your questions) you'll just end up spending more money than you need, or end up with a half-a$$ed FreeNAS box that doesn't meet your expectations.

You don't need or want a graphics card in your FreeNAS server. Stick with an Intel CPU and a server MB. Plex inside FreeNAS can easily handle 4k streams... no graphics card needed/used/desired. It's pure CPU horsepower. Checkout passmark to see if the CPU you have in mind scores well enough for streaming. If you need to transcode the stream, that can take some muscle, but most any modern CPU that you'd use for FreeNAS will handle it fine.

For hard drives, the beauty of FreeNAS is that you can throw just about any drive it there and (IF you build the pool correctly and have a backup solution/plan), you will be okay. This is the one area where you can likely save some money if you want. Personally, I use WD Reds (the 5400 rpm ones), but many others use different. Read backblaze a bit if you're curious about reliability by different OEMs. NAS drives are a good investment, but not necessary if you have built the server correctly and have a backup plan... even ZFS does not negate the need for backups.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input.
I did look at some of the posts in resources, just not all of them.
I know I don't NEED it, but it's nice to have.
I have already set a FreeNAS up before, it wasn't too difficult when you got the hang of it, but I'll admint, I'm still a rookie at it.

I don't fully understand what you mean by the limitations and requirements of FreeNAS. Can you link me something that explains it a bit?

I figured out the GPU part when I read more about the H.264 encoding, that doens't benefit much from a GPU :/

But is it a MUST that it has to be an Intel CPU? Because I'm starting to look more into AMD for the time, and I might go with it for my next build.

What would the Passmark be, enough to run a maximum of 3 x 1080p streams? I don't have a lot of numbers, or more specifici requirements to make a decision from.

And from what I can tell, you can't get a "normal" drive with 10 TB, unless it's a NAS drive, is that correct?
- It may be a bit different in Denmark where I live.

I will look into backblaze, thanks!

From what I understood about NAS drives, they're more reliable, and they can run 24/7 with less errors. I just don't want to loose data, that's why I was thinking about NAS drives.

GBillR

Contributor
I don't fully understand what you mean by the limitations and requirements of FreeNAS. Can you link me something that explains it a bit?
Eric's guide is a good place to begin. There is also a recently added FreeNAS 101 in the resources section, but I haven't reviewed that document yet. FreeNAS hardware requirements are specifically what I was referring to.
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

But is it a MUST that it has to be an Intel CPU? Because I'm starting to look more into AMD for the time, and I might go with it for my next build.
Unless you can find an AMD CPU and Motherboard that supports ECC... and last I looked at AMD that was an issue, you're best to stick with Intel. Don't get me wrong... I'm not anti-AMD for a general gaming or workstation, but for a server, I'll stick with Intel. Maybe something has changed in the server-grade CPU world since I last looked.

What would the Passmark be, enough to run a maximum of 3 x 1080p streams? I don't have a lot of numbers, or more specifici requirements to make a decision from.
https://support.plex.tv/articles/201774043-what-kind-of-cpu-do-i-need-for-my-server/

From what I understood about NAS drives, they're more reliable, and they can run 24/7 with less errors. I just don't want to loose data, that's why I was thinking about NAS drives.
If you don't want to loose data, have a backup. FreeNAS is not a replacement for a backup. I am not sure NAS drives are any more or less reliable (despite OEM claims). They do have firmware that makes them "better" for NAS use. look at the MTBF of the drives you are considering, and then the warranty they offer, and weigh all of those things when selecting drives. It really is a place where you can save money if you want.

Nanobug

Cadet
Eric's guide is a good place to begin. There is also a recently added FreeNAS 101 in the resources section, but I haven't reviewed that document yet. FreeNAS hardware requirements are specifically what I was referring to.
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

Unless you can find an AMD CPU and Motherboard that supports ECC... and last I looked at AMD that was an issue, you're best to stick with Intel. Don't get me wrong... I'm not anti-AMD for a general gaming or workstation, but for a server, I'll stick with Intel. Maybe something has changed in the server-grade CPU world since I last looked.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201774043-what-kind-of-cpu-do-i-need-for-my-server/

If you don't want to loose data, have a backup. FreeNAS is not a replacement for a backup. I am not sure NAS drives are any more or less reliable (despite OEM claims). They do have firmware that makes them "better" for NAS use. look at the MTBF of the drives you are considering, and then the warranty they offer, and weigh all of those things when selecting drives. It really is a place where you can save money if you want.

Thank you, like a lot!
Apparently my Google skills suck xD

From what I could tell from it all, my i7-3770K, would do fine with my current setup, and just with FreeNAS installed instead.
My new issue is, that I can't find 10 TB drives that aren't NAS drives.

Also, I assume, without knowing it, I don't need more RAM, or faster RAM?

Is there a way to thank you properly for your help?

GBillR

Contributor
I would reconsider how much storage you need, and then look for drives that give you the best return on your $$ spend. I think last I looked, 4TB or 6TB drives were the "sweet spot" in terms of cost per TB. I don't suspect you need/want a single 10 TB drive. Take a look here if you already haven't:

https://www.ixsystems.com/community...-comparison-spreadsheet-to-find-best-tib.116/
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/introduction-to-zfs.111/
https://www.ixsystems.com/community...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Also, I assume, without knowing it, I don't need more RAM, or faster RAM?
So RAM is a touchy subject. I use ECC for all of my "production" systems, with only 1 exception: my backup FreeNAS. I take that risk with the understanding that someday the data on my backup server may become corrupted. The data there is all replicated data from other production servers, and is truly only there for disaster recovery. For really important data, I also use S3 to AWS, so I have that data in 3 locations, one being offsite.

Assuming you don't want to buy a new MB and new RAM, 16 GB will suffice in your use case. Speed of the RAM is not really important, compatibility is. You likely cannot drop ECC RAM into your existing MB. Also, I don't think your CPU is compatible with ECC Ram anyways. Also, you should research and confirm that your bios and CPU support all of the virtualization technologies needed for jails or VMs, depending how you plan to setup the Plex server. Jails require less overhead and I am pretty sure there is even a plex plugin that would do most of the heavy lifting for you if you wanted.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-3770k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

Is there a way to thank you properly for your help?
Sure - Just hit the "Thanks" link in the lower right corner of the post. ;)

GBillR

Contributor
Thank you, like a lot!
From what I could tell from it all, my i7-3770K, would do fine with my current setup, and just with FreeNAS installed instead.

You know, the more I think about this, the more I question whether or not you really need a NAS. If you are just looking to convert the hardware you have into a Plex and Owncloud server, why not just install a linux serever os and run plex media server and owncloud from that?

FreeNAS is great, but you haven't really made a use case for it. I use FreeNAS for the file serving it provides, and the reliability of ZFS. If you're planning to use owncloud anyway, I am not sure FreeNAS aligns with your needs... Your existing hardware with a new hard drive or two would likely make a killer stand-alone media server. Trying to shoehorn FreeNAS into that old consumer hardware is not advised by most in this community. Can you do it? Probably, but it is definitely not advised.

Nanobug

Cadet
I would reconsider how much storage you need, and then look for drives that give you the best return on your $$ spend. I think last I looked, 4TB or 6TB drives were the "sweet spot" in terms of cost per TB. I don't suspect you need/want a single 10 TB drive. Take a look here if you already haven't:

https://www.ixsystems.com/community...-comparison-spreadsheet-to-find-best-tib.116/
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/introduction-to-zfs.111/
https://www.ixsystems.com/community...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

So RAM is a touchy subject. I use ECC for all of my "production" systems, with only 1 exception: my backup FreeNAS. I take that risk with the understanding that someday the data on my backup server may become corrupted. The data there is all replicated data from other production servers, and is truly only there for disaster recovery. For really important data, I also use S3 to AWS, so I have that data in 3 locations, one being offsite.

Assuming you don't want to buy a new MB and new RAM, 16 GB will suffice in your use case. Speed of the RAM is not really important, compatibility is. You likely cannot drop ECC RAM into your existing MB. Also, I don't think your CPU is compatible with ECC Ram anyways. Also, you should research and confirm that your bios and CPU support all of the virtualization technologies needed for jails or VMs, depending how you plan to setup the Plex server. Jails require less overhead and I am pretty sure there is even a plex plugin that would do most of the heavy lifting for you if you wanted.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-3770k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

Sure - Just hit the "Thanks" link in the lower right corner of the post. ;)

Thanks for the links, even though I'm not sure if I can use those prices. Hardware is expensive AF in Denmark, taxes and fees all over the place!
I don't think I'm gonna change much, maybe more RAM if needed, otherwise just the disks.

You know, the more I think about this, the more I question whether or not you really need a NAS. If you are just looking to convert the hardware you have into a Plex and Owncloud server, why not just install a linux serever os and run plex media server and owncloud from that?

FreeNAS is great, but you haven't really made a use case for it. I use FreeNAS for the file serving it provides, and the reliability of ZFS. If you're planning to use owncloud anyway, I am not sure FreeNAS aligns with your needs... Your existing hardware with a new hard drive or two would likely make a killer stand-alone media server. Trying to shoehorn FreeNAS into that old consumer hardware is not advised by most in this community. Can you do it? Probably, but it is definitely not advised.

Now that you mention it. I've been looking for a reason to try out Linux, but I haven't had a reason yet.
I don't know much about Linux distributions, except it can be a jungle to find the right one.
I assume you can get torrent programs and some sort of remote management on Linux as well.

Do you know a distribution I could use as a starter?

GBillR

Contributor
Do you know a distribution I could use as a starter?

The possibilities are virtually endless. I have used several distros, but I always end back with Ubnuntu. Play with a couple (I've also used Centos) and see what you like. For this specific use, I would just install the server OS and not use a desktop. That said, the desktop would be easier for you just to get your feet wet. If you do go with the server version, you just log in locally or remotely over SSH (I use Putty) and everything is command line. You could even get fancy and use Webmin to administer the server using a pretty sleek web interface from any machine on your network, but I wouldn't start using that until you really have some experience.

Nanobug

Cadet
I don't mind the terminal interface, even though I'm not a genious at it. I used PuTTy as well.

I was considering CentOS as well, I've heard good things about it, but never tried it.

I tried Ubunto like 10 years ago, just for the fun of it, but never really got into it after that, and I assume there have been some (a lot) of changes since then.