FreeNAS newbie here - with HP Proliant ML310e Gen8

LittleGreyCat

Dabbler
I am (or used to be) reasonably IT literate but I have no experience of the software or the hardware so life is about to become interesting.
The Proliant is in transit so I can't look inside it but I am reading as fast as I can.
Which means my brain is melting.

With the Proliant I have four LFF (3.5") drive bays.
According to the User Guide, with luck the rear of the drive cage will plug into a SAS connector on the Mother Board and this will leave me with 2 * SATA ports and a micro SD card slot.
I am assuming that the SD card is for installation of the OS if all 4 HDDs are in use for RAID(ish) storage (or empty on first configuration) and the two drive bays aren't available because extra power supplies and/or optical drives.
Then again it could just be for transferring pictures from your camera. :)

So I am likely to have a load of obvious and probably naive questions as I gradually get up to speed.

Any input from other Proliant Microserver owners will be most welcome.

I also have 4 * PCIe slots but reading the specification of the Intel Xeon E-3 processor it looks as though I can use 2, 3 or 4 depending on the speeds selected.
I'm currently debating what to do with them, including a SATA controller and/or an M.2 adaptor if I decide that I need more/faster storage.

Anyway, I'm drifting away from introductions and into questions I should be answering elsewhere.

Hello! :cool:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Welcome aboard!

The micro SD card is really only good for loading new BIOS and firmware updates. Go with an M.2 SSD for the OS.