FreeNAS Mini Critical IPMI Firmware Update

Good morning FreeNAS gurus. Some time ago I bought a pair of FreeNAS minis and deployed one with no problem. The 2nd one has been on my office floor until recently when I started it up and got the message:

FreeNAS Mini Critical IPMI Firmware Update - Your Mini has an available IPMI firmware update, please click here (https://support.ixsystems.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/287)

I have tried updating the firmware by following the above link when I am logged into my FreeNAS mini from my desktop PC (AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor) and later on I tried using my older i7 Lenovo laptop. Both PCs are using Windows 7 Enterprise edition. I have tried using IE 11 on both PCs and I have tried Chrome version 67.X.XXX on both PCs and I always get stuck on page 5 where it says Uploading Firmware Image. I never ever get any error messages and there are no popup windows hiding behind the main window so I am not sure where to go from here?

Is there a approved procedure whereby I could download the firmware and put it on a USB flash drive and install if from there?

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated & thanks to all freeNAS users.

P.S. I have two valid IP addresses on the FreeNAS mini and I communicate on both the management IP address and the IPMI IP address so I doubt it is a communication error?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yes this is the instructions although mine did not have the steps highlighted in RED.

My page 1 & page 2 are identical. After I click Enter Update Mode at the bottom of page 2, everything comes to a spinning stop when the process gets to the 3rd line Uploading Firmware image.

I just installed the newest version of Firefox on my i7 laptop and the blue Upload firmware window is there and it was not on Chrome or IE.

Redcoat

MVP
I can't help directly but I can offer potential words of encouragement - it worked for me following those instructions and using Firefox in mid-November last. I just see that you are trying Firefox - tell us if you are successful - I have one more thought if not.

I downloaded the C2750D4I(00.35.00)BMC 00.30.00 Firmware update to my PC. Then I unstuffed it to become C2550D4I_P0.35.00.ima.

Then using the blue upload window in Firefox I uploaded it and everything seemed to be going well but when it completed the FreeNAS mini is still asking for the same update again and now the IPMI is not responding?

Time for a break, I will look into this more after lunch.

Redcoat

MVP
I suggest you look at the Server Management page in the BIOS and see if the Configuration Address Source under BMC Network Configuration says "Unspecified" and the address is 0.0.0.0 - that will be the correct default for "35" as the network configuration parameters are configured by the BMC itself. The flash to P00.35.00 changed my previous Static settings to that default and I lost communication with the BMC as a result.

Okay, got it figured out. IPMI reverted to DHCP so I had to uncheck DHCP, enter the IP and reboot and all is good thanks for the help.

For those of you who find this post and want the quick answer:

First I used only Windows 7

Newest versions of IE 11 & Chrome 67.XX failed

Newest version of Firefox worked a little better than the other two browsers.

I had up to date java and I put in a couple of exceptions in the Security tab of Java.
http://10.1.199.155/* and http://10.1.199.155/Java/release/JViewer-SOC.jar (yes the IPs have been changed to protect the innocent.

Then I followed the links to the downloads: I downloaded the C2750D4I(00.35.00)BMC 00.30.00 Firmware update to my PC. Then I unstuffed it to become C2550D4I_P0.35.00.ima.

Then I followed the instructions from the vendors website until I got to the 3rd task that will never finish and at that point I had the firmware update on a thumbdrive so I used the blue upload window and uploaded the firmware and the program uploaded and then completed as it should have the first ten tries.

Then using the blue upload window in Firefox I uploaded C2550D4I_P0.35.00.ima

Then when the update was installed and the FreeNAS had rebooted or so I presumed I logged into the main FreeNAS interface. The IPMI interface was unreachable and I still had the flashing red light in the upper right corner of the FreeNAS window. I rebooted and flashing red light went away but IPMI was still unavailable.

It turns out the IPMI interface had reverted to DHCP. Go to Network / IPMI uncheck the DHCP box and enter your assigned IP.

Good luck and thanks team for all the willing help.

Adrian

Contributor
Chrome has never worked for me with FreeNAS Mini firmware upgrades. One of the rare times that I use Edge.

inpersonnate

Cadet
I know this is an older thread, but it came up in Google results for "asrock BMC update stuck". For others who may have issues, here's what I did in Chrome...

1. Log in to BMC
2. Open Chrome Dev Tools
3. Switch to Application tab. Expand "Cookies" and click the appropriate domain name for your server.
4. At the end of the existing cookie list, double click the empty spot. Enter "WebServer" under name.
5. Should be good to go now.

tabularasa

Cadet
I know this is an older thread, but it came up in Google results for "asrock BMC update stuck". For others who may have issues, here's what I did in Chrome...

1. Log in to BMC
2. Open Chrome Dev Tools
3. Switch to Application tab. Expand "Cookies" and click the appropriate domain name for your server.
4. At the end of the existing cookie list, double click the empty spot. Enter "WebServer" under name.
5. Should be good to go now.

No dice with this method. I never get the blue box regardless of which browser I use.