FreeNAS Mini and Mini XL motherboard replacement guide [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stux

MVP
The Motherboard Replacement Guide shows how to properly remove and replace the motherboard in a FreeNAS Mini or Mini XL. Many detailed photos are used to clarify and simplify the process.

http://ixsystems.com/FreeNAS_Mini_Motherboard_Replacement.pdf

Great guide. I think you should preface it with some static electricity notes/precautions. At least to ground yourself before operating and not to touch contacts etc.

It doesn't get more risky than a motherboard swap, and the user is removing/handling/re-installing the motherboard, ram, nic and satadom. Everything that could possibly die due to static except the CPU

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Great guide. I think you should preface it with some static electricity notes/precautions. At least to ground yourself before operating and not to touch contacts etc.
We had some discussions about that. It gets complicated because processes need to be explained and the user might think they need additional equipment. In reality, if you touch the chassis before working on it (which is difficult to avoid), static is rarely a problem.

emk2203

Guru

jrk

Cadet
Should there be any BIOS or software changes to prevent the replacement motherboard (ASRock C2750) from failing, or are the replacement motherboards from iXsystems fixed?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The excessive writes to the BMC Flash were fixed in firmware years ago. The C2000 failures were supposedly fixed by Intel on later production runs of the SoC.

Cantrepeat

Dabbler
I've just started getting the constant reboots on a freeNAS mini purchased Oct 2018. What's the current MB replacement model and part number. Is there any type of warranty replacement for these?

Redcoat

MVP
Suggest that you contact iXsystems and ask them directly. They gave good support to those of us who purchased units that were in the "known-affected" time frame - I do not know what that time frame was/is.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Constant reboots are not typical of this issue, but definitely contact iX for support.

Cantrepeat

Dabbler
Thanks! I found the iX thread dealing with the issue and sent an email into support.

Status
Not open for further replies.