Freenas main interface with VLAN

pacmac

Cadet
Hello,

I have installed FreeNAS 11-3-U1 on a ESXi VM.

ESXi VM - ESXi vswitch on VLAN ID 4095 - Brocade switch with tagged ports on VLAN 40 (pfsense is on it too with a tagged port) - pfsense with VLAN 40 configured and firewall rules allowing traffic.

FreeNAS VM Shell:

S1wdVJP.png

SMD4toq.png

ESXi FreeNAS configuration:

kzB5n39.png

Brocade switch configuration (I have tested that vmnic4 and vmnic5 are on 1/1/13 and 1/1/14 switch ports disconnecting cables and refreshing ESXi UI):

7E8VtGe.png

pfsense configuration:

RXzJoBx.png

pfsense vlan40 rules configuration:

iCSwxU8.png

Please, let me know if I missed any data that will be helpful for my problem resolution.

if I delete vlan40 interface in FreeNAS and set vmx0 to 10.0.40.2 address and default gateway to 10.0.40.1 and then set my ESXi vswitch configuration to VLAN ID 40, then I have networking and I can see on pfsense that it is tagged with vlan 40 ID. You can see it in the next image:

TFpFVhp.png

so, if I am correct, the problem is on the FreeNAS VM configuration or on ESXi vswitch when configuring it as VLAN ID 4095, but this VLAN ID should set VGT mode and the vswitch port in trunk mode.

all help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

pacmac

Cadet
Ok, more news.

The problem is FreeNAS. I have created a Debian VM in the same ESXi port group as a FreeNAS jail. ESXi was on VLAN ID 4095, so VTG is enabled and 802.1Q tag is managed by guest system, not by ESXi. The Debian VM worked at the first time on vlan41.

on FreeNAS side, I have set up vmx1 on the mentioned port group, without address, then I have created vlan41 with vmx1 parent interface, without address too. I have created bridge41 with vmx1 and vlan41 as members.

I have set up a jail with 10.0.41.4 address and 10.0.41.1 gateway, on “network properties”, i have configured interfaces vnet:bridge41 and vnet_default_interface to none, because if I set it to auto, then it adds vmx0. if I do an ifconfig I will see vlan41 and vmx1 as bridge1 members. but the jail cannot see 10.0.41.1