FreeNAS ISO is not recognized by Ubuntu

vduvanenko

Cadet
I downloaded FreeNAS 11.2-U5 ISO to Ubuntu 18.04 and tried to use StartupDiskCreator built-in application that turns ISO's into USB bootable images and burns USB sticks. However, this app didn't recognize the ISO and provided no errors, just staring blankly back. I then ran the app on command line, and it returned "isoinfo: Unable to find Joliet SVD" twice and then exited.
I was able to create a bootable USB stick by using the belena... application on the Mac.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

vduvanenko

Cadet
Sadly, the dd command failed with an error "dd: error writing 'dev/sda2': No space left on device".
This device has FreeNAS ISO installed from the Mac installation, but shows 8 GB of free space, and two FreeNAS partitions.
Could you possibly provide instructions on how to format a USB drive properly (possibly FAT32) so that the dd command will work with that partitioning and formatting?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I'm certainly no linux expert, but I think sda2 is partition 2 on device sda... you need to dd to the device, so just /dev/sda

You may need to unmount partitions for that to be OK... also sudo.

EDIT: just re-read the instructions and it turns out I'm not as wrong as I thought:
On Linux, use /dev/sdX, where X refers to the letter of the USB device.

Also... you might want to think carefully about writing to sda in particular, since I think that's usually the first disk in a linux box... not the best one to write to. perhaps look at a df to see where the right sized partition is.

Last edited:

Fredda

Guru
Sadly, the dd command failed with an error "dd: error writing 'dev/sda2': No space left on device".
You have to use the device. /dev/sda is the device, /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2 is a partition on the device.
Code:
sudo dd if=freenas.iso of=/dev/sda bs=1M status=progress

The status option is optional and might not be supported by older versions of dd.
Make sure /dev/sda is really your USB device and you don't kill your system device by accident.

sretalla