FreeNAS in VirtualBox on Win10 bootfailure

Soren

Dabbler
I'm trying out different NAS/fileserver/filestorage programs, and have found FreeNAS, which sounds easy to use and what I'm looking for.

It will (if I can get it to work, to check it out) be running on the following hardware:
Asus Strix Z270E Gaming
Watercooled Core I7-6700K
32 Gb Corsair Vengeeance LPX (4x8Gb)
250 Gb Samsung SSD 960 Evo for systemfiles
4X160 Gb Seagate ST9160314AS in Raid 10.

Now the problem is as following:

I can create a virtual machine (and get it running) of anything from DOS 3.11 thru to Windows 10, OS2 (if anybody remember that one), Redhat, Ubunto, Debian, Suse and so on Linux distros.

If I follow the guide on https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2-U6/virtualmachines.html I can get it installed, BUT, when I try to reboot, I get the message that there are no bootable system on the primary master.

What am I missing ?

Cheers
Soren
Denmark

Soren

Dabbler
After reading for a litle more than 45 min, I'm more confused than before. What I get out of your link is:

Any other virtualisation "machine" than VMware ESXi don't work ?

And the best way to see is to do the hardware, and the install on that ?

melloa

Wizard
Do you want to test it? Get a small PC, boot from an USB, dedicate one HD for storage and play with it. If deciding to get serious, get a good hardware - list on Resources.

Soren

Dabbler
Okay so.

That means that you can't test it unless you dedicate hardware to test it, and if you don't like it, then to bad, you are stuck with that hardware.

That was NOT what the different reviews around the internet said, so maybe I'll just buy the dedicated NAS server anyway, I don't know yet, but it will actually, for me anyway, be a cheaper option.

Maybe I'll see you all around

kingc

Dabbler
@Soren
To clarify, you're trying to install FreeNAS as a Virtualbox guest in Windows 10, yes? I've done this several times for test purposes without issue, as have many others, I'm sure. Can you give more details regarding the version of Virtualbox you're using and your VM configuration in Virtualbox (particularly your disk controllers and boot settings)?

You reference the Virtual Machines section in the user guide, but that does not apply here. FreeNAS can itself host VM's using Bhyve, and this is described in the user guide. You seem to be having difficulties with FreeNAS as a guest installation, not a host.

Soren

Dabbler
@Soren
To clarify, you're trying to install FreeNAS as a Virtualbox guest in Windows 10, yes? I've done this several times for test purposes without issue, as have many others, I'm sure. Can you give more details regarding the version of Virtualbox you're using and your VM configuration in Virtualbox (particularly your disk controllers and boot settings)?

You reference the Virtual Machines section in the user guide, but that does not apply here. FreeNAS can itself host VM's using Bhyve, and this is described in the user guide. You seem to be having difficulties with FreeNAS as a guest installation, not a host.
That is right, I want to try out FreeNAS, as a guest installation on Oracle's VM Virtualbox (Version 6.0.14 r133895 (Qt5.6.2)

melloa

Wizard
That means that you can't test it unless you dedicate hardware to test it, and if you don't like it, then to bad, you are stuck with that hardware.

No, but every software out there has a system requirement. Try to install Windows 10 on a 486.

That was NOT what the different reviews around the internet said, so maybe I'll just buy the dedicated NAS server anyway

So, you saw a review from someone running Freenas using the same configuration you are using?

I have: FreeNAS, Xpenology, and Rockstor all running as VMs on my ESXi. It is a matter of having the right hardware for what you want to do.

Before I decided what to run, I dedicated a small pc and installed, reinstalled, uninstalled all that I could get my hands on.

I'll just buy the dedicated NAS server anyway,

Have that too. A four bays Synology, just because their Surveillance Station, and I do run Zoneminder as a VM as well.

Good luck with your researches, just make sure to set your needs for the next 5 years, so you can get the correct hardware and not be expending money on upgrades/replacement of hardware.

Apollo

Wizard
You can use VirtualBox to install Freenas.
I believe your issue is dependent on the settings under "System" tabs on Virtualbox page for your Freenas VM.
Make sure you have your Virtualization options enabled.
With VirtualBox, you can't have Hyper-V enabled within Windows 10.