FreeNAS in ESXi - dual gigbit NIC bonding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have setup a FreeNAS in my ESXi host with 2 physical gigabit NICs both set to active. I've tried to add 2 virtual NICs to the FreeNas VM but they only work in independent mode, getting 2 IP addresses. Everything works and I can hit the webgui through either IPs.
I've attempted to setup Link Aggregation on FreeNAS using load-balancing (no LACP since I don't have a switch that supports that) but no matter how I set it up, as soon as I bond the 2 NICs and reboot the system no longer gets DHCP addresses. The bonded link shows nothing and even when I force set it to a static address it doesn't fix things and it can't ping other systems and vice versa.

I was under the impression that only 802.3ad (LACP) required managed switches to function so I choose load-balancing. Any ideas?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I think the question you should be asking is whether or not ESXi's internal software ethernet switch will cope with that. My guess - based mostly on your observation that it doesn't work - is that it doesn't, at least not the way you have it configured.

There aren't that many knobs to twiddle for the free ESXi switch. I vaguely recall that there are options for ingress filtering of some types of traffic, but none of it is very sophisticated. If you can't figure it out, I might be able to try to set something up later.

I think the question you should be asking is whether or not ESXi's internal software ethernet switch will cope with that. My guess - based mostly on your observation that it doesn't work - is that it doesn't, at least not the way you have it configured.

There aren't that many knobs to twiddle for the free ESXi switch. I vaguely recall that there are options for ingress filtering of some types of traffic, but none of it is very sophisticated. If you can't figure it out, I might be able to try to set something up later.

I did research on it and the VSwitch does support bonding, I've actually switched to a TurnKey Ubuntu server as I found out RAID-Z will not allow geometry changes to the array so I'll go back to a good old fashioned RAID6 setup. The Ubuntu server's bonding worked withe out a hitch so it seems something is still wrong in the FreeNAS 8.0.1RC2 build especially given the other threads I've read discussing the issues with it

Status
Not open for further replies.