Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Freenas Home Build

Chris Moore

Super Moderator
also.. I'm googling and not finding anything.. but that link says.. 8 port.. but I only see 2 ports.. you put the 1 to 4 cables in.. so yes.. I can use 1 card and get 8 sata now... and you mentioned that this card can do 256 drives by expander controllers... what models are they?

I'm looking at throwing 12x 500gb ssd's together first so just 8 won't cut it...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RES2CV360-INTEL-36-PORT-6G-SAS-EXPANDER-BOARD-FOR-INTEL-R1000-R2000-TYPE-SERVERS/132665195104
I have used this type of SAS expander to increase the number of available ports. Each connector is four ports. A SAS expander works similarly to a network switch to rout traffic between the drives and the SAS controller.

Chris Moore

Super Moderator
after searching .. I get it now... the cards that say 8 port.. are not 8 ports.. are 2 port x 2 breakout cables for
No. Each of the SAS connectors has 4 ports in it which is why the breakout cables are able to connect to eight drives with no no additional electronics.
but to that.. I see now that I actually want like a 4 port sas extender as that will support 16 cards plus my 6 on mobo... for 22.. that is better...
I am not sure what you are looking at there.

Chris Moore

Super Moderator
Then I found this Adaptec-ASR-52445
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptec-AS...h=item2cc53d7ac0:g:ivIAAOSw8thZnw9g:rk:5:pf:0

and someone said it worked on FreeNAS 8 so I'm hoping still supported on 12. will wait a bit before ordering...

thoughts before I do so?
Don't do that. It is a hardware RAID controller and NOT the thing to use with ZFS. On FreeNAS 8, they were still using UFS. Now that we are using ZFS, there is no need for a hardware RAID controller and you should not do it, it can actually break the ZFS File System.

Chris Moore

Super Moderator
I have a cpu sitting that I can use - found it thrown in my junk box.. hah
e5-2620 v3 - FCLGA2011-3
What system board are you planning to use that on?

Did you read any of the guides we have on the forum?

If you are determined to go with a v3 processor and DDR4 memory, you would need to go with a system board like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-X10SRL-F-Server-Motherboard-Intel-C612-Chipset-Socket-LGA-2011-v3/332827074855

The system board I had pointed out before is for v1 and v2 Xeon E5 processors and uses DDR3 memory. This is a newer, and consequently more expensive board. Where the older board can often be had for around $150, this one is a generation newer and is going to be more costly. The Xeon E5-2620 v3 is only 2.4 GHz, but that will be a start. Higher clock speed is usually better, but this still gets a CPU Mark score of 10020 which should let you transcode three to five 1080p streams on Plex if you need to.
In a single CPU configuration, a Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz would be better because it has a CPU Mark score of 13614.
9x Timetec Hynix 4GB DDR4 2400MHz PC4 19200 Registered ECC 1.2V CL17 1Rx8 Single Rank 288 Pin RDIMM Server Memory Ram Module Upgrade (HMA451R7AFR8N) (4GB)
https://www.amazon.com/Timetec-2400MHz-Registered-Upgrade-HMA451R7AFR8N/dp/B06Y5YVP3Q
The Supermicro X10SRL-F Server Motherboard has eight memory slots, so you could put 32GB of memory in there to start, using the Hynix 4GB modules.

TeleFragger

TeleFragger

What system board are you planning to use that on?

Did you read any of the guides we have on the forum?

If you are determined to go with a v3 processor and DDR4 memory, you would need to go with a system board like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-X10SRL-F-Server-Motherboard-Intel-C612-Chipset-Socket-LGA-2011-v3/332827074855

The system board I had pointed out before is for v1 and v2 Xeon E5 processors and uses DDR3 memory. This is a newer, and consequently more expensive board. Where the older board can often be had for around $150, this one is a generation newer and is going to be more costly. The Xeon E5-2620 v3 is only 2.4 GHz, but that will be a start. Higher clock speed is usually better, but this still gets a CPU Mark score of 10020 which should let you transcode three to five 1080p streams on Plex if you need to.
In a single CPU configuration, a Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz would be better because it has a CPU Mark score of 13614.

The Supermicro X10SRL-F Server Motherboard has eight memory slots, so you could put 32GB of memory in there to start, using the Hynix 4GB modules.
of course I've been reading the guides!!!! some of them confuse me though tbh....

it isn't that im determined to .. but heck if I've got it... why not...
ill keep my eyes lookin for that mobo…
I've got case/ps/cpu/memory/12x 512gb ssd/2x 6-2.5 hs bay kit so just mobo needed.
gonna ebay my i5 soon and other stuff to get $ for mobo...
thx again!

TeleFragger

so I haven't forgotten about his..
I found 2 machines on craigslist... not supermicro and not a ton of drive bays but can get me into ecc ddr memory and a full running system cheap for now. to start toying..

just don't know which is the better choice..

64gb ecc ddr 3
24gb ecc ddr 4

reading up with the search button.. I'm seeing comments that ddr4 is costlier and you won't see much of a difference thus don't bother with it.. but to me.. you gain a newer platform and newer cpu...
thoughts?

Bozon

FreeNAS Experienced
so I haven't forgotten about his..
I found 2 machines on craigslist... not supermicro and not a ton of drive bays but can get me into ecc ddr memory and a full running system cheap for now. to start toying..

just don't know which is the better choice..

64gb ecc ddr 3
24gb ecc ddr 4

reading up with the search button.. I'm seeing comments that ddr4 is costlier and you won't see much of a difference thus don't bother with it.. but to me.. you gain a newer platform and newer cpu...
thoughts?
Memory speed will make almost no difference, but the amount of memory can make a lot of difference. This is because disks are very slow compared to memory access, so with 64gb of memory freeNAS can create bigger caches. So on memory alone I would choose the first 1.

For example, I found this comparison of memory to very fast SSD.

Now the Samsung 940 PRO SSD

• reading at 3,500 MB/sec
  • writing at 2,100 MB/sec
Ram got faster too

• reading at 61,000 MB/sec
  • writing at 48,000 MB/sec..
Ram is 20x faster than a very fast SSD, it is probably 1000 times faster than spinning drives.

DDR4 isn't 20x faster than DDR3.

TeleFragger

ok took your word for it.. HAH..

so I set it up and just basic install...

tomorrow will sit down and start to do my volumes. thanks for the help..

freenas.png

fyi - i get it.. WD Black not recommended.. red or so... but for now i have these and its in a "I don't care if I loose the pools" deal..
so for now to play..

got e5 xeon , ecc ram so were good there.. hah

disks.png

TeleFragger

gonna upgrade to the lastest version on that machine above..
still e5-1620 v3
ecc ddr3 64gb ram
I'm going to add 6x 500gb ssd so that should make for some nice fast storage.

My goal is to run this as an iscsi store for vms on 2 esxi boxes, so I can vmotion. if all works how I expect it too, ill be able to yank some of my ssd from my esxi boxes and add them here to further add space.

the big thing I'm going to do is see if the new version supports my ConnectX-1 card and if not, go backwards to 11.1 as that did... I want 10gb from esxi to freenas...

more to come tomorrow...

but while I'm sitting and thinking...
for SSD what is a good layout for space?

5x in raid 5 and 1 as ssd cache?

Velcade

FreeNAS Aware