freenas-boot is degraded

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This is related to an SSD controller bug. The only current fix is to disable TRIM prior to the install (via editing the GRUB line) and then ensuring that it stays disabled afterwards.

https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-100276

@HoneyBadger, great catch, I apparently didn't read closely enough the first time through this thread.

I don't think we've had any WD Green SSD's come through the shop here and had kinda almost forgotten they even existed. The Blues are so cheap that they've been very compelling for a lot of use cases. They have a great endurance rating for the price. On ESXi datastores, I've been pairing them with Crucial MX500's in RAID1. The Greens can't really be selling that well. The 480GB is priced $60-$75 on retail sites while the Blue 500GB is $63-$65. The Green 960GB seems to be going for $124-$145 while the Blue 1TB seems to be easily found for $109-$119, though there are some sellers out there selling it for a good bit more. I'm not sure what WD's strategy is here. Obviously the sizing on the Greens goes lower as it is an "entry level" product. I'm never a fan of pricing irrationality like this.

In particular it's too bad if a crummy product with an inferior controller suckers someone like the OP into buying it. And just to be clear, that's aimed squarely at WD, not at @jobuel who made a reasonable choice of a low-capacity inexpensive SSD from a "reputable" manufacturer.

anmnz

Patron
Now three days after the fresh install with disabled trim I don't get another errors!

Have you done a scrub of the freenas-boot pool to be sure?

IIRC when I was testing for the bug report I found I needed to disable TRIM twice, both for the actual install process and for the OS running after the install, in order to avoid corruption. Wasn't clear to me that you'd done both.

jobuel

Cadet
Have you done a scrub of the freenas-boot pool to be sure?

IIRC when I was testing for the bug report I found I needed to disable TRIM twice, both for the actual install process and for the OS running after the install, in order to avoid corruption. Wasn't clear to me that you'd done both.

In my excitement I was a little too hasty in thinking I had found the solution
Now, as I performed a scrub, another error (in the metadata) appeared.
And yes I disabled TRIM witce, both for the actual install process and for the OS running after the install.
Before I did the installation, I opened the "Configure Boot Options" and wrote "set vfs.zfs.trim.enabled=0 ".

1566803312072.png

Last edited:

Balu5

Cadet
I have exactly the same drive and same issue. I just found this thread so I would ask the OP is there a fix for this issue?
How can I fix my WD Green SSD drive to work with freenas?