freenas-boot is degraded

jobuel

Cadet
Hey guys,

my freenas-boot is degraded since today.

FreeNAS-11.2-u5
MB: Primez 370-P
RAM: 2x Kingston KVR26N19D8/16 (16GB 2Rx8 2G x 64-Bit PC4-2666 )
Root SSD: 1x WDC WDS120G2G0B-00EPW0 (WD Green 120GB SSD m.2)
HDD (Storage): 4x Seagate ST8000VX0022 SkyHawk 8 TB (8,89 cm (3,5 Zoll) 256 MB Cache, Sata 6 Gb/s)

The command zpool status -x fives me following answer (attached files fn1 & fn2):

fn1.PNG

fn2.PNG

There are even more corrupted files, but nothing special.
I visited https://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A but i don't really understand what I have to do.

Unfortunately, the data cannot be repaired, and the only choice to repair the data is to restore the pool from backup. Applications attempting to access the corrupted data will get an error (EIO), and data may be permanently lost.

As I understand I have to restore a backup (i have a backup). But does this really solve the problem? Or are there another important things I have to watch out for?
Sorry I am a newbie who can't handle manuals.

I am very grateful for any help, if there are some questions about the issue: Please just ask me.

Kind regards,
jobu

Last edited:
Sorry I am a newbie who can't handle manuals.
The manuals can be a it overwhelming, but I find the FreeNAS User Guide to be a great place to look if for no other reason than what a lot of folks will advice you to do is exactly what the manual says in many cases.

In the case of a degraded root pool I imagine a reasonable solution would be to download a backup of your config (if you haven't already done so), get a new SSD and replace the one you have, reinstall FreeNAS, and upload your config. A couple of gotchas though; if you made use of encryption during your disk setup you need to take additional steps. Also, you may consider going with mirrored boot pools rather than a single pool.

I think it would be worth taking a look at the following section of the user guide System->General, Specifically the bits about backing up configs and the like.

jobuel

Cadet
The manuals can be a it overwhelming, but I find the FreeNAS User Guide to be a great place to look if for no other reason than what a lot of folks will advice you to do is exactly what the manual says in many cases.

In the case of a degraded root pool I imagine a reasonable solution would be to download a backup of your config (if you haven't already done so), get a new SSD and replace the one you have, reinstall FreeNAS, and upload your config. A couple of gotchas though; if you made use of encryption during your disk setup you need to take additional steps. Also, you may consider going with mirrored boot pools rather than a single pool.

I think it would be worth taking a look at the following section of the user guide System->General, Specifically the bits about backing up configs and the like.

Did I understand you correctly: I just need to download a FreeNAS 11.2-u5 image, load it into a USB stick, replace the SSD with the new one and then fresh install? I already have a backup and I also saved my config.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sorry I am a newbie who can't handle manuals

How did your install your os? When did you install it? It's setup incorrectly, should have gptid not the disk name. To fix your setup you just need to reinstall and upload your config.

Mod note: edited for tone -@jgreco

Last edited by a moderator:

jobuel

Cadet
That's just you being lazy not a newb. You need to read the manual. I bet after you try you will understand way more.

How did your install your os? When did you install it? It's setup incorrectly, should have gptid not the disk name. To fix your setup you just need to reinstall and upload your config.

I read the manual (https://www.ixsystems.com/documenta...tml?highlight=replace#replacing-a-failed-disk) a few times and took a look around in different threads but i found nothing I can work with.

Call me stupid, but sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.

But anyway, thanks for your help. I'll give it a try with your solution.

Reading the manual is a great step even for newbs. That being said, I can understand folks feeling overwhelmed or intimidated at first, especially if they are new enough to a field or area such that the terminology is dense and opaque.

Last edited:
Did I understand you correctly: I just need to download a FreeNAS 11.2-u5 image, load it into a USB stick, replace the SSD with the new one and then fresh install? I already have a backup and I also saved my config.
More or less, yes. The disk replacement procedures you posted above are generally for replacing disks in a vdev composed of more than 1 disk. In this case you have a single disk which is also your boot pool which requires replacing. For this reason you'll want to follow the steps outlined above.

Did you use encryption in your pool?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Folks, just a reminder to try to be polite to your fellow posters, especially people who may be trying to struggle through several different sets of unfamiliar all at once.

jobuel

Cadet

1. Is there a risk to disable TRIM if it was enabled (picture enabled.PNG )?
The WD Green 120GB SSD m.2 would support TRIM (picture trim.PNG ).

2. I replaced the old SSD with the new one and did a fresh install. Then I imported the config file and the errors were gone. But just the next day they were back (picture freenas219.08.PNG ). Did I forgot something?

3. I read on the solution page for the error ZFS-8000-8A (https://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A)
"If this is the case, the only option is to destroy the pool and re-create the datasets from backup. "
I'm a bit confused bacause I thought I just have to restore the config file? Or how can i destroy and re-create the datasets?

I'm sorry for my foolness but does anyone have a manual for dummies or some advice?

Attachments

• freenas219.08.PNG
    freenas219.08.PNG
    25 KB · Views: 688
  • trim.PNG
    trim.PNG
    23.8 KB · Views: 572
  • enabled.PNG
    enabled.PNG
    2.4 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
If you've already installed to a bugged device with TRIM enabled, the corruption will be there in the pool, and won't be detected until after a scrub or a read of the affected record.

The bug tracker hasn't quite nailed it down as to what the exact root cause is, but the current suspect is something wrong in the NCQ TRIM implementation.

jobuel

Cadet
This is related to an SSD controller bug. The only current fix is to disable TRIM prior to the install (via editing the GRUB line) and then ensuring that it stays disabled afterwards.

https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-100276

If you've already installed to a bugged device with TRIM enabled, the corruption will be there in the pool, and won't be detected until after a scrub or a read of the affected record.

The bug tracker hasn't quite nailed it down as to what the exact root cause is, but the current suspect is something wrong in the NCQ TRIM implementation.

Okay I'll do a fresh install in the next few days and deactivate trim via GRUB before booting.
I will give a feedback if it worked or not.

Thanks a lot for your help!

sretalla