FreeNas boot device on USB

s2kfixit

Cadet
Hello,
Previously i have used FreeNas Boot device as USB. Recently i read USB to use to install but use SSD to install as boot device. Can i still use USB as boot device where FreeNas OS will reside.? I bought good 32GB USB drive to use as Boot device. Just want to make sure.
Thanks,

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hello,
Previously i have used FreeNas Boot device as USB. Recently i read USB to use to install but use SSD to install as boot device. Can i still use USB as boot device where FreeNas OS will reside.? I bought good 32GB USB drive to use as Boot device. Just want to make sure.
Thanks,
It is important that the system dataset and reporting database be stored elsewhere (not on the USB stick) because the read/write activity of those will burn out a USB memory stick fairly quickly. It is the reliability of the USB sticks that has caused them to fall out of favor. They fail more frequently and when they fail it is usually without warning. Be sure to keep a backup of your system config.db

Here is a link to the section of the guide that discusses the system dataset:

blueether

Patron
Yes you can do it but it is no-longer the recommended base for the OS.

You could look at a ssd in a usb enclosure if you dont have room for the extra boot drive in the box