FreeNas asked me to make configuration for 4GB Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Troca

HI im completely new to Freenas but after following some videos and some experimenting i got it up and running.

My Config

FreeNas 8 AMD64 version running off usb stick

Asus E35M1-M PRO Onboard AMD Zacate Processor ATX Motherboard
4 x Seagate 1TB 3.5" Sata-III 6GB/s Barracuda Green Hard Drive - 5900RPM 32MB Cache
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1066MHz i5 Memory Kit 1.5V CL7

after i made a ZFS-Z2 partion of my 4 Drives a message came up on the freenas box saying something in the lines of

4GB Ram detected you should configure /host/somefile ?
with some value to end at =0

tried to goggle it how to change the value and rebooted freenas thinking the message would come up again it dosent.

Any one know what i need to do ? and how do i edit that file ? i have configured so i have ssh acces using putty but i dont know anything about what commands to put in to open that file and edit it.

Pleas some kind soul help

regards

Niklas

tropic

Dabbler
The message you're seeing is probably that FreeNAS disables prefetching on systems with less than 4GB RAM. Use the forum's search function to see whether you might like to override it.

pallfreeman

Dabbler
It's important to remember that 4GB is less than 4GB. :)

T

Troca

You are a Star you are 100% correct that was the message.

Quick question i have tried goggled how to edit this file but no where does it say what command i need to type in the terminal of my SSH client to edit the file. And i am a 100% n00b to all this never used linux or anything other than windows before so any help would be great.

thanks

Niklas

pallfreeman

Dabbler
Just ignore the message. :)

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Troca
Editing the file to enable prefetch is not a smart idea when you only have 4GB of RAM, less if you have an internal video. As a Noob you should not edit this file. Once you have read more about prefetch and what it does and what risks you take enabling it with 4GB or RAM, then you will also know how to edit it if you choose that path. I'd tell you right now how to enable prefetch but if your FreeNAS box starts crashing, I don't think you will be so happy with your experience. This is why it is automatically disabled at a certain RAM limitation.

-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.