Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

FreeNAS as Xen Dom0

Thanks
If I understand it correctly, you're proposing to replace bhyve with Xen?

I think bhyve was chosen due to the tight linkage to the FreeBSD kernel and resulting light impact on the host (leaving FreeNAS enough room to be a good Block storage/file/jails server as well).

When VirtualBox was the hypervisor (somehow a bit obvious as it's also an Oracle product... like ZFS and Solaris), resource issues were a notable struggle.

Thanks
A FreeNAS as Xen Dom0-solution would of course be very interesting, but I hear what you are saying on why Bhyve was chosen.

I've had the chance to test Bhyve (FreeNAS) and Xen (XCP-ng) for a few weeks, and for server virtualization these two products differ in maturity. Proxmox (qemu/kvm) seems to land somewhere in between those two.

Thanks
bhyve isn't a type 1 hypervisor, so you shouldn't expect it to compete on an even playing field with ESXi or Xen.

As you note, it is also a new kid on the block and is still developing. I understand it will deliver some incremental improvements in FreeBSD 12 (and hence FreeNAS 12).