freenas and waps

mofosachem

Dabbler
hello thanks for reading.. I just started using freenas... I really like it, did some research on my issue and have come up short. - I have plex running in a jail ( i manually created the jail following a write up)... i didnt use the plug-in because i kept getting disconnected when i wanted to static map the ip. I have the freenas on .200 and the plex server on .201 with the default port.

I have three waps that are static mapped - i live in a concrete block structure in FL. The walls are thick and each room has a wap the model is tplink WA801ND v3, firmware is updated. I never have an issue. When freenas boots up and gets going, after a while i notice the waps vanish from the router listing table and they wont come back on till i reboot the wap hardware. this does not happen when the freenas server is in the off state. if i static map my laptop it will connect to the wap allow me to log in and reboot.

any thoughts on this would be helpful - i am considering getting more advanced waps.

thanks for the time

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
if i static map my laptop it will connect to the wap allow me to log in and reboot.
I don't think static map means what you think it means... What are the IP addresses of your APs?

after a while i notice the waps vanish from the router listing table
What is the consequence of that if you can still connect to them by IP address (if I understood you correctly regarding static map)?

I certainly don't think it's normal to see FreeNAS knock other devices off the network, but VNET does put the NIC into promiscuous mode and it is spoofing additional MAC addresses, so perhaps it's your router not handling that well... What router do you have?

mofosachem

Dabbler
The waps are
.2 .3 .4 ... static meaning on my end they aren't using DHCP to get the address
I have an Asus RT-ACRH17 which is .1

mofosachem

Dabbler
Over a course of time the waps can't reach the network and I can't get to them from the router unless I set my IP in network settings then I can access the Ui web page of the waps I thought IP conflict but nothing is showing that

mofosachem

Dabbler
Also a note the access points are down now but my main router WiFi is working no problem

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think you are going to need to provide a bit more information:
1. Screen shots of the setup screens for the APs you have.
2. Are you using a DHCP server and if so, what device is it? And what is the DHCP range?
3. What is the signal strength for the APs?
4. Are these in Bridge or Repeater mode?
5. Did you setup anything on FreeNAS for DHCP Service?
6. What are the AP SSID names?

Have you:
1. Placed at least one AP closer to your Router to see if it stops dropping offline?
2. Changed the channel?
3. Use only a single AP (turn the other 2 off for testing)?

This sounds like a simple setup issue with respect to your AP's. Off the top on my head the first thing I'm check is to make sure you only have one DHCP server running. So if you have DHCP turned on in the AP's, turn it off. Your Router should be doing DHCP already (in a normal configuration).

mofosachem

Dabbler
i appreciate the time and community for looking at this.

before i conclude with the screeshots... i am new to freebsd some linux experience and heavy windows experience.

the asus router is dhcp for sure - freenas is not running dhcp although i was thinking of using that instead. dhcp on the aps is off for sure.

the only services on free nas running - smart and smb. I just powered it on with the plex jail down and i will let it sit and see how long it takes to act up 9:26am est i have the freenas ip set .200/24 name server points to router ..dhcp for freenas re0 is off

for plex its .201/24 with the vnet box checked

people are having the issue with the tplink access points in general but for me it only happens when the freenas box is powered on and not right away. i had it off for a month with no problem then turned it on

the aps are hardwired back to my wiring closet into a patch panel then from there into a gb tplink 8port unmanaged switch i have messed with the ap settings a ton..

mofosachem

Dabbler
for got to add the freenas is in the wiring closet directly plugged into the routers port 1

mofosachem

Dabbler
here is one ap details also noting the plex port is 32400 its all in house so i have no open ports on the router.

Attachments

• ap2.png
    ap2.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 215
  • ap3.png
    ap3.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 210
  • ap4.png
    ap4.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 222
  • ap1.png
    ap1.png