FreeNAS and Deluge

Status
Not open for further replies.

aushy

Cadet
I just installed FreeNAS a few days ago and have been using transmission for a little bit. However it doesn't seem to have many features, particularly automatic downloading. I was wondering if it's possible to install deluge instead? How would I go about doing this?

drewpickles

Cadet
I've tried getting this working using the Install a PC-BSD PBI docs; which were useful in getting everything installed. Unfortunately I have run into a roadblock in actually accessing Deluge at all (unable to connect to the IP). I assign an IP address during the jail creation process, a new MAC address shows in my router, added it to the DHCP server under the corresponding IP address also but to no avail.

Hopefully a more experienced user than myself can weigh in on it.

D

dlavigne

Having never used deluge, I assume it has a service that needs to be started? Has it been started?

The way I setup and got deluge working:

First create a jail named "deluge". Then ssh or open a shell and type in "jexec deluge /bin/tcsh" This will allow you to run commands from inside your jail.
Now type "easy_install deluge". After the install type "ee /etc/rc" and press enter. Use your arrow keys to goto the bottom of the file and add the following two lines above the final line saying exit:

./usr/local/bin/deluged &

./usr/local/bin/deluge-web &

Now hit <escape key> and press enter and select yes to save changes. Now you can point a web browser at "http://ipaddress:8112" Note the ip address is NOT your freenas machine but the deluged jail you created at the beginning of this post. Default password is deluge.

GOOD LUCK!

N00b

Explorer
I too prefer to use deluge over transmission though I understand that it hogs more memory! I have deluge installed in a jail on a PC-BSD box (FreeNAS jails are similar).
I installed deluge from ports .
Code:
portsnap fetch extract
cd /usr/ports/net-p2p/deluge
make install clean

Add to end of /etc/rc.conf
Code:
delugew_enable="YES"
deluged_enable="YES"

The port also installs a start up file deluged in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ which is used to start the deluge daemon. You have to change the name of the deluge user to an under-priviliged user say 'nobody' in the startup file or else it will try to use the default username ''asjklasdfjklasdf' and give an error message that user home directory was not found. (It creates the deluge config file in the home directory of the user starting the service.

Alternatively, you can delete that file and use these start-up files.

The rest remains the same - you can point a web browser at "http://ipaddress:8112" Note the ip address is NOT your freenas machine but the deluged jail you created at the beginning of this post. Default password is deluge.

@ Aaron Hemphill
After the install type "ee /etc/rc" and press enter. Use your arrow keys to goto the bottom of the file and add the following two lines above the final line saying exit:

./usr/local/bin/deluged &

./usr/local/bin/deluge-web &

Now hit <escape key> and press enter and select yes to save changes.
This way you are probably running the service as root which may have its own risks. Using rc_startup scripts allows you to run the service as an underprivileged user.

Your method is WAY more elegant and correct than my method! Have you tried to run flexget and deluge together yet? Flexget complains that the deluge plugin is missing but upon looking in the /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/FlexGet-1.1-py2.7.egg/flexget/plugins directory I can confirm its there. Perhaps it is due to running Deluge in a seperate jail. Now armed with a better way to run deluge on the local box instead of jail "it filled my /var two different times trying to install deluge and forced a reinstall" I should be able to get this going.

N00b

Explorer
@ Aaron Hemphill - happy to have helped. I haven't tried flexget but not all plugins work in the daemon+WebUI mode. You really want to be running deluge in a jail and not on the main box.

lloyd

Dabbler
I love deluge, however when I try to install it from ports I get
root@mediajail:/usr/ports/net-p2p/deluge # make install clean
===> Installing for deluge-1.3.6_2,1
===> deluge-1.3.6_2,1 depends on package: py27-xdg>=0.18 - found
===> deluge-1.3.6_2,1 depends on package: py27-libtorrent-rasterbar>=0 - found
===> deluge-1.3.6_2,1 depends on package: py27-openssl>=0.8 - not found
===> Verifying install for py27-openssl>=0.8 in /usr/ports/security/py-openssl
===> Staging for py27-openssl-0.14
===> py27-openssl-0.14 depends on package: py27-cryptography>=0.2.1 - not found
===> Verifying install for py27-cryptography>=0.2.1 in /usr/ports/security/py-cryptography
===> py27-cryptography-0.2.2_1 depends on package: py27-cffi>=0.8 - not found
===> Verifying install for py27-cffi>=0.8 in /usr/ports/devel/py-cffi
===> Building for py27-cffi-0.8.1
Package libffi was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libffi.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
Package 'libffi', required by 'world', not found
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building '_cffi_backend' extension
cc -DNDEBUG -O2 -pipe -I/usr/local/include -fno-strict-aliasing -fPIC -DUSE__THREAD -I/usr/include/ffi -I/usr/include/libffi -I/usr/local/include/python2.7 -c c/_cffi_backend.c -o build/temp.freebsd-9.2-RELEASE-p3-amd64-2.7/c/_cffi_backend.o
c/_cffi_backend.c:14:17: error: ffi.h: No such file or directory
In file included from c/_cffi_backend.c:18:
c/malloc_closure.h:33: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'ffi_closure'
c/malloc_closure.h: In function 'more_core':
c/malloc_closure.h:69: warning: division by zero
c/malloc_closure.h:96: error: 'union mmaped_block' has no member named 'next'
c/malloc_closure.h: At top level:
c/malloc_closure.h:105: error: expected ')' before '*' token
c/malloc_closure.h:113: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token
c/_cffi_backend.c:184: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'ffi_cif'
c/_cffi_backend.c: In function 'cdataowninggc_dealloc':
c/_cffi_backend.c:1496: error: 'ffi_closure' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:1496: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
c/_cffi_backend.c:1496: error: for each function it appears in.)
c/_cffi_backend.c:1496: error: 'closure' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:1496: error: expected expression before ')' token
c/_cffi_backend.c: In function 'cdataowninggc_traverse':
c/_cffi_backend.c:1511: error: 'ffi_closure' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:1511: error: 'closure' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:1511: error: expected expression before ')' token
c/_cffi_backend.c: In function 'cdataowninggc_clear':
c/_cffi_backend.c:1527: error: 'ffi_closure' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:1527: error: 'closure' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:1527: error: expected expression before ')' token
c/_cffi_backend.c: In function 'cdataowning_repr':
c/_cffi_backend.c:1651: error: 'ffi_closure' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:1651: error: expected expression before ')' token
c/_cffi_backend.c: At top level:
c/_cffi_backend.c:2197: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'ffi_abi'
c/_cffi_backend.c: In function 'cdata_call':
c/_cffi_backend.c:2331: error: 'ffi_abi' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:2331: error: expected ';' before 'fabi'
c/_cffi_backend.c:2373: error: 'fabi' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:2377: error: too many arguments to function 'fb_prepare_cif'
c/_cffi_backend.c:2382: error: 'cif_description_t' has no member named 'exchange_size'
c/_cffi_backend.c:2392: error: 'cif_description_t' has no member named 'exchange_offset_arg'
c/_cffi_backend.c:2422: error: 'cif_description_t' has no member named 'exchange_offset_arg'
c/_cffi_backend.c:2427: error: 'cif_description_t' has no member named 'cif'
c/_cffi_backend.c: In function 'b_new_primitive_type':
c/_cffi_backend.c:3331: error: 'ffi_type' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:3331: error: 'ffitype' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:3352: error: 'ffi_type_sint8' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:3353: error: 'ffi_type_sint16' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:3354: error: 'ffi_type_sint32' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:3355: error: 'ffi_type_sint64' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:3361: error: 'ffi_type_float' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:3363: error: 'ffi_type_double' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:3365: error: 'ffi_type_longdouble' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:3371: error: 'ffi_type_uint8' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:3372: error: 'ffi_type_uint16' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:3373: error: 'ffi_type_uint32' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:3374: error: 'ffi_type_uint64' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:3897: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'ffi_type'
c/_cffi_backend.c:3916: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token
c/_cffi_backend.c: In function 'fb_build':
c/_cffi_backend.c:4047: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'atypes'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4047: error: 'ffi_type' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:4047: error: expected expression before ')' token
c/_cffi_backend.c:4048: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'nargs'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4051: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'rtype'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4059: error: 'cif_description_t' has no member named 'exchange_offset_arg'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4062: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'rtype'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4063: error: 'ffi_arg' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:4073: error: 'atype' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:4086: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'atypes'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4087: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'atypes'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4090: error: 'cif_description_t' has no member named 'exchange_offset_arg'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4097: error: 'cif_description_t' has no member named 'exchange_size'
c/_cffi_backend.c: In function 'fb_build_name':
c/_cffi_backend.c:4119: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'nargs'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4128: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'fct'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4130: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'fct'
c/_cffi_backend.c: In function 'fb_prepare_ctype':
c/_cffi_backend.c:4171: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'fct'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4181: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'fct'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4201: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'ffi_abi'
c/_cffi_backend.c: In function 'fb_prepare_cif':
c/_cffi_backend.c:4228: error: 'cif_description_t' has no member named 'cif'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4228: error: 'fabi' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:4228: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'nargs'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4229: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'rtype'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4229: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'atypes'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4229: error: 'FFI_OK' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c: In function 'b_new_function_type':
c/_cffi_backend.c:4246: error: 'FFI_DEFAULT_ABI' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:4284: error: too many arguments to function 'fb_prepare_cif'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4292: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'nargs'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4302: error: 'struct funcbuilder_s' has no member named 'nargs'
c/_cffi_backend.c: In function 'convert_from_object_fficallback':
c/_cffi_backend.c:4326: error: 'ffi_arg' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:4398: error: expected ')' before '*' token
c/_cffi_backend.c: In function 'b_callback':
c/_cffi_backend.c:4469: error: 'ffi_closure' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:4469: error: 'closure' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:4490: error: 'ffi_arg' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:4525: error: 'cif_description_t' has no member named 'cif'
c/_cffi_backend.c:4526: error: 'invoke_callback' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c:4526: error: 'FFI_OK' undeclared (first use in this function)
c/_cffi_backend.c: In function 'init_cffi_backend':
c/_cffi_backend.c:5455: error: 'FFI_DEFAULT_ABI' undeclared (first use in this function)
error: command 'cc' failed with exit status 1
*** [do-build] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/py-cffi.
*** [build-depends] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/py-cryptography.
*** [run-depends] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/py-openssl.
*** [install] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/py-openssl.

Stop in /usr/ports/net-p2p/deluge.

Did I miss a step?

lloyd

Dabbler
Found the solution, I needed to install /usr/ports/devel/libffi first

dasti

Explorer
thanks for the informations here ! I also like using deluge I'll try this asap ! Just for your informations, here's some interesting/unique features about deluge : 1/ it's possible to move a torrent storage location anytime without stopping it 2/ it's separated in 2 parts : the daemon and the "heavy" user interface. So it's possible to have the UI on windows and the the deamon on unix-like system. When you click on torrents or magnet links, the UI will pop up like everything happens locally but, in reality you'll control the daemon remotly. by the way it has also a web-UI. 3/ user authentification with differents (but basic) rights levels 4/ it has a labelling features (like uTorrent)

I just started using Deluge today, thanks to this thread. Having a GUI client on Windows control the daemon in a FreeNAS jail is a really great feature.

I tried Transmission but didn't like the interface, plus it was missing some features, namely RSS feeds. I finally ran across Deluge and it seemed to fit the bill, but I had a lot of trouble getting it installed. I'm pretty new to FreeNAS and *nix systems, and getting this set up was a nice learning experience! The yarss2 plugin is great for those that need that feature, but be warned, it doesn't work with the webgui.

This post really helped:

Code:
portsnap fetch extract
make install clean

Code:
delugew_enable="YES"
deluged_enable="YES"
Thank you for this, I had a lot of trouble installing Deluge until I tried this method. As lloyd said above, be sure to install /usr/ports/devel/libffi first. Not sure if it's essential but I ran these too:
Code:
pkg install python
pkg install py27-pip
pip install service_identity

Some other things I learned:

You can run this command to install from ports:
Code:
make WITHOUT_X11=yes install clean
and uncheck the GTK2 box when prompted - this will skip installing GUI elements, which aren't needed on a headless installation anyway. (Link to more info)

You have to start and stop the daemon
Code:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/deluged start
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/deluged stop

to create config files which you then must edit to create a login/password for the GUI client to use. Lots of good information here about that for newbs like me. If you're only going to use a GUI client, skip the step where you copy the startup script over. I actually didn't edit the default one at all. I did set up a user "deluge" as described in that link and added the line
Code:
deluged_user="deluge"
to /etc/rc.conf

Install the GUI on the client machine and the client's copy of whatever plugins before connecting with the daemon (using the login/pass you set up earlier), then you can install the daemon's copy thru the GUI and poof, everything's hunky dory. Good information here about how to set the GUI client up.

Last edited:

indivision

Guru
I too prefer to use deluge over transmission though I understand that it hogs more memory! I have deluge installed in a jail on a PC-BSD box (FreeNAS jails are similar).
Code:
portsnap fetch extract
make install clean

Code:
delugew_enable="YES"
deluged_enable="YES"

The port also installs a start up file deluged in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ which is used to start the deluge daemon. You have to change the name of the deluge user to an under-priviliged user say 'nobody' in the startup file or else it will try to use the default username ''asjklasdfjklasdf' and give an error message that user home directory was not found. (It creates the deluge config file in the home directory of the user starting the service.

Alternatively, you can delete that file and use these start-up files.

The rest remains the same - you can point a web browser at "http://ipaddress:8112" Note the ip address is NOT your freenas machine but the deluged jail you created at the beginning of this post. Default password is deluge.

@ Aaron Hemphill

This way you are probably running the service as root which may have its own risks. Using rc_startup scripts allows you to run the service as an underprivileged user.

I followed these instructions and was able to get deluge installed. I can manually start it, log in and see it working. But, it does not automatically start up when I stop then start the jail.

I tried replacing the startup files with the ones you linked to. Nothing.

One thing that I noticed is that the scripts refer to a "/home/deluge" path. I don't see that path from root... But, I'm pretty new with unix. So, maybe that is a relative path when the script is run?

Any ideas on how to get it to start automatically?

Thank you.

One thing that I noticed is that the scripts refer to a "/home/deluge" path. I don't see that path from root... But, I'm pretty new with unix. So, maybe that is a relative path when the script is run?

Any ideas on how to get it to start automatically?

Thank you.
I learned a lot from this page about getting the service to start automatically. I'd steer clear of the sample startup script unless you're going to use the webGUI.

I added a new user "deluge" to my jail, then ran the following to create the config directories:
Code:
mkdir -p /home/deluge/.config/deluge
chown -R deluge:deluge /home/deluge/

Then I added this line to my jail's /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
deluged_user="deluge"

dasti

Explorer
hi guyz

Deluge is my favorite torrent client and I´d like to make a nice guide to install it on freenas and maybe one day make a plugin !?!?

I tried to install deluge in a jail in freenas 9.3 and I´m not successful for now.

I first tried to install with pkg install deluge but it seems that it downloads a complete graphic environment (around 1gb) so I decided to try with the portstree method and, for now, I´m stuck :

here´s the commands I entered
Code:
pkg install pkg <<== because the system ask to upgrade pkg
portsnap fetch extract <<== to download the portstree
cd /usr/ports/devel/libffi && make install clean <<== I followed the recommandations in this post but this command seems to change nothing
cd /usr/ports/net-p2p/deluge && make WITHOUT_X11=yes install clean <<== to install deluge 

here´s the error message I get
===> Generating temporary packing list
Files found in blib/arch: installing files in blib/lib into architecture dependent library tree
Installing /usr/ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext/work/stage/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16/mach/auto/Locale/gettext/gettext.so
Installing /usr/ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext/work/stage/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16/mach/auto/Locale/gettext/gettext.bs
Installing /usr/ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext/work/stage/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16/mach/Locale/gettext.pm
Installing /usr/ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext/work/stage/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.16/man/man3/Locale::gettext.3
====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
===> Installing for p5-Locale-gettext-1.05_4
===> Checking if p5-Locale-gettext already installed
/usr/local/lib/libintl.so.9
/usr/local/bin/perl5.16.3
===> Registering installation for p5-Locale-gettext-1.05_4 as automatic
pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext/work/stage/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/mach/5.16/auto/Locale/gettext/gettext.so: No such file or directory
pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext/work/stage/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/mach/5.16/Locale/gettext.pm: No such file or directory
pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext/work/stage/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/man/man3/Locale::gettext.3.gz: No such file or directory
*** [fake-pkg] Error code 74

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext.

Stop in /usr/ports/misc/help2man.

Stop in /usr/ports/misc/help2man.

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/autoconf.

Stop in /usr/ports/net/GeoIP.

Stop in /usr/ports/net/GeoIP.
*** [lib-depends] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net-p2p/libtorrent-rasterbar.

Stop in /usr/ports/net-p2p/libtorrent-rasterbar.
*** [lib-depends] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net-p2p/libtorrent-rasterbar-python.

Stop in /usr/ports/net-p2p/libtorrent-rasterbar-python.

on the deluge forum, here´s the post for the installation
on the freenas forum, I found this post that talks exactly about the problem, refering to that post

I have to say that I didn´t understand everything...but tried this
Code:
portsnap extract
cd /usr/ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext/ && make install clean

and the result is the same.

If you have any suggestions/advices I´d be glad to read it !
Thanks !

Last edited:

dasti

Explorer
I think Iḿ not so far from the source of the problem

first it seems that there's a default version of perl in the jail
Code:
# perl --version

This is perl 5, version 16, subversion 3 (v5.16.3) built for amd64-freebsd-thread-multi

when I try to deinstall it, it fails
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.16 && make deinstall
===>  Deinstalling for perl5.16
===>   perl5.16 not installed, skipping

when I try to install perl 3.16 or 3.18,it fails because there´s perl already installed

strangely when I tried to uninstall vers 5.18 I got this

Code:
# cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.18 && make deinstall
===>  Deinstalling for perl5
===>   Deinstalling perl5-5.16.3_11
Updating database digests format: 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Deinstallation has been requested for the following 1 packages (of 0 packages in the universe):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
    perl5-5.16.3_11

The operation will free 47 MiB.
[deluge] [1/1] Deinstalling perl5-5.16.3_11...
[deluge] [1/1] Deleting files for perl5-5.16.3_11: 100%

SaskiFX

Dabbler
I registered just to reply to this. I pounded my head on this stupid error for a few hours last night. I'm trying to rememrber my fix. I believe I did two things:

===> Registering installation for p5-Locale-gettext-1.05_4 as automatic
pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext/work/stage/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/mach/5.16/auto/Locale/gettext/gettext.so: No such file or directory
pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext/work/stage/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/mach/5.16/Locale/gettext.pm: No such file or directory
pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext/work/stage/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/man/man3/Locale::gettext.3.gz: No such file or directory
*** [fake-pkg] Error code 74

That part I fixed by cheating. If you go into the directories mentioned, you will find that the mach/5.16 folders are reversed. Its listed as 5.16/mach in the actual filesystem. I moved it around to fix it. Then I created a fake file for the 3rd error, as I don't care if I have the man files for it. Create the directories, and touch the filename.

Try just that and see if it fixes things. If not, I believe I did a portmaster -r perl as well to upgrade perl. Then deluge finished installing. Finally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.