Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

FreeNAS: About the name

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks
The name of the product is FreeNAS. The initial F is a capital letter, like most names. NAS stands for Network Attached Storage, and it is capitalized because it is an acronym.

There are many creative ways of writing or abbreviating FreeNAS. Some people use many different ways in a single post. That could be due to autocorrect, although we like to think it's inventiveness. Inspiring inventiveness. Still, the actual, correct name is just FreeNAS. Capital F, lowercase ree, uppercase NAS. It only has one S. It has one A before that. One N before that, but after the lowercase ee, which is after the Fr. Same name as it has been from the start. Never been spelled or capitalized a different way. Just capital F, lower case ree, and then NAS. All upper case on that last part. Just the last part. Well, that, and the first letter. Or say it's all upper case, except the ree part. Or go the other way, it's all lower case except the F and the NAS. That works too.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Thanks
Unfortunately I missed the immediate trigger for this briefing. :)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Thanks
The name of the product is FreeNAS. The initial F is a capital letter, like most names. NAS stands for Network Attached Storage, and it is capitalized because it is an acronym.

There are many creative ways of writing or abbreviating FreeNAS. Some people use many different ways in a single post. That could be due to autocorrect, although we like to think it's inventiveness. Inspiring inventiveness. Still, the actual, correct name is just FreeNAS. Capital F, lowercase ree, uppercase NAS. It only has one S. It has one A before that. One N before that, but after the lowercase ee, which is after the Fr. Same name as it has been from the start. Never been spelled or capitalized a different way. Just capital F, lower case ree, and then NAS. All upper case on that last part. Just the last part. Well, that, and the first letter. Or say it's all upper case, except the ree part. Or go the other way, it's all lower case except the F and the NAS. That works too.
Pedantry much? :D

Mlovelace

FreeNAS Expert
Thanks

Thank you Capitan Obvious. :D

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks

nightshade00013

FreeNAS Expert
Thanks
Their, there, they're, it will be ok @wblock
We understand your pain.

diedrichg

FreeNAS Guru
Thanks

m0nkey_

FreeNAS Expert
Thanks
I've always preferred, fREEnas. :D

brando56894

FreeNAS Guru
Thanks
I always thought it was FREEnas! :p

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks
FreeNazzz is my preferred way. ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thanks
Suggested edit:

'sSNS my S;sNS$NSSN'

... idly wondering if that's too arcane for this forum, probably not for some of you though.

Zwck

FreeNAS Experienced
Thanks
Code:
  ,+++	  ;++++ ;:																   
   +++++ +++++++.																	 
   +++++++++++++																	   
   +++++++++++++		 fffff				   n	n	  a	 ssss			 
  `+++++++++:			f					   nn   n	 aa	s	s			   
  ++++++++++++:	  '   f					   nnn  n	aaa   ss					 
  ++++++++++++	  +'   ffff  RRRR  EEEE  EEEE  n n  n   aa a   s					 
  +++++++++++++++ +++	f	 RR   EE  E EE  E  n nn n   a   a	sss				 
  ++++++++++ +++++++'	f	 R	E   E E   E  n  n n   a   a	   s				 
  +++++++++;  ;++++.	 f	 R	 EEEE  EEEE  n  nnn	aaaa	  ss			   
  `++++++++`	++	   f	 R	E	 E	  n   nn   a   a	  ss			   
   +++++++++	++	   f	 R	 E	 EE	n	n   a   a	  s				 
	+++++++++'+++		f	 R	  EEE   EEE  n	n   a   aa  sss				 
   ;,+++++++++++																	   
   `  ++++++++'																	   

Did i do it right?

Thanks
It just doesn't get any better than this! A place to learn great stuff and a place to unwind.
1 - Mary, merry, marry
2 - "I missed the immediate trigger"

Thanks
At least the name wasn't misspelled on the site title for 6 years like one board I know of. :)

Last edited: