SOLVED FreeNAS 9.3 FC Fibre Channel Target Mode DAS & SAN

philxor

Cadet
I'm using a MDS 9132T currently. It's a bit more complicated since the 9132T is connected to a 93180-FX which is connected to the host via a Cisco VIC CNA. So it's TrueNAS->9132T->93180->VIC. I'm just trying to get the single initiator and single target working currently.

philxor

Cadet
Okay, I had originally tried this with TrueNAS Core 12.0u6? and that's when I was seeing the above behavior.

I installed 13.0u4 and used a different port on the QLogic card (passed to ESX via PCI passthrough) and after going through the same steps I can see the FC LUN in the ESX initiator. One difference I also noticed is I see the QLogic port via lspci in 13.0u4 where the older install I didn't see it even though the isp driver was loaded and the port was visible.

I also saw the port as a target right away on the SAN switch:

0x790020 N 21:00:00:24:ff:78:0e:c2 (Qlogic) scsi-fcp:target
[qlogic-port-3]

I'm going to go back and try using 13.0u4 with the other port and see if I see the same behavior.

philxor

Cadet
I've created a couple volumes in TrueNAS and also created an Ubuntu 20.05 VM where I've mounted these as raw disks. Testing the speed is very hit or miss so far. It starts off okay for a certain amount of data but then drops off to very very slow speeds the disks no longer really become usable in the VM. I'm seeing quite a few of these in the TrueNAS logs coming in batches of 5-6, didn't see much information on that in a quick search.

isp0: Firmware timed out on command
isp0: isp_handle_platform_ctio: CTIO7[129300] seq 0 nc 1 sts 0xb flg 0x1 sns 0 resid 0 MID

This is specific to write speed, read speed never seems to be affected. In iotop I see the IO wait at 100% while the write operations are occurring.

Last edited: