Freenas 8 Vlan Configuration Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

neofire

Cadet
Hey Everyone

i am new Freenas (but not to linux)

but i am running into a problem, and i am asking for help

i am recently just installed freenas onto a spare HP ML110 G5 and i have put in a dual Intel Pro 1000PT Nic

i am trying to configure a Lagg interface ( load balance or LACP ) and i want to put it on to a seperate vlan, now my vlan configuration on my cisco switches and routers are working correctly but everytime i configure a lagg interface and add it to the vlan it doesnt work ( i cant ping anything on that vlan subnet from the freenas box and i cant ping the freenas lagg interface)

can someone help

Below are some screenshots of my configuration

Attachments

• Freenas-GUI-LAGGInterface config.JPG
    Freenas-GUI-LAGGInterface config.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 339
  • Freenas-GUI-VLAN config.JPG
    Freenas-GUI-VLAN config.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 314
  • ifconfig-a.jpg
    ifconfig-a.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 318

louisk

Patron
So, you configured your switch to have an LACP interface between 2 ports, and made those 2 ports trunk ports?

neofire

Cadet
Yea i did that

i even went as far as removing the LACP config and just trying to get one of the the interfaces to work but unfortunately i can even get a single nic to access the vlan

louisk

Patron
In that case, I would start over, and figure out what the problem with your NICs is. You need to know how to resolve this before you get complicated and try LACP.

neofire

Cadet
Yea i have been trying to work it out

at the moment i am trying to just get 1 nic to work, but after i configure the vlan and ip settings in the web interface it still doesnt work

i have been reading that people have more success when they manually configure the vlan adaptor with a Ip address but i cant locate the file those settings are stored in, they say the /etc/rc.conf file has it but i open it and it does not

any ideas

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi neofire,

Any chance you could try to get a single NIC to work when connecting to a plain old network port? I would try to simplify things as much as you can and see if you can just get the network going...it could be something simple that a more basic configuration would expose....

Once you get a link established you could even try bringing the other NIC up on the vlan, but now you can see both sides of the connection.

-Will

neofire

Cadet
hey Survive

I can get all the nics working on the normal network with individual IPs , if i try and add one the the nics to a vlan it can comunicate with anything

louisk

Patron
have you tried to configure things from the console (not ssh, not web ui)? That's how I usually setup the LAGG and VLAN.

louisk

Patron
Are you sure you created the port-channel properly? Mine looks like this:

interface GigabitEthernet0/33
description freenas
switchport mode trunk
channel-protocol lacp
channel-group 1 mode active
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/34
description freenas
switchport mode trunk
channel-protocol lacp
channel-group 1 mode active

neofire

Cadet
Yea my vlan config is working, cause other devices on the same vlans are working EG: the esxi servers iSCSI nics

( Switch Config in Screen Shots )

I have gone back to basics and just trying to get one network card to work on the VLAN

but alas no go, i have now gotten to Freenas to see the vlan config as a Interface, since i tried configuring it threw the console but i dont get why its not working, is there anything that we have to add to the freenas startup files ( loader.conf for example)

The network card i am using does support vlans cause i have the same cards in my ESXi Servers, and the Intel 1000Pro GT dual are supported by freenas, this is just confusing me because from what i have been told this shouldnt be that hard to configure

Attachments

• PortVlanMembership.JPG
    PortVlanMembership.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 292
  • vlan4 - Copy.JPG
    vlan4 - Copy.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 294
  • Port List - Copy.JPG
    Port List - Copy.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 299

neofire

Cadet
Hey guys

I just reinstalled my Freenas box with the new version, and off the bat the Vlan and LACP configuration has work, hell if i know what was wrong before but its working now and thats all that matters

i would just like to thank you for the time you have put in trying to help me

Status
Not open for further replies.