Freenas 8 on ESXi4.1 UFS corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcoppee

Cadet
Hello,
Every 2 to 3 days my Freenas server (running on a dell server in ESXi environment) seems to crash
After reboot, the message "Unexpected soft update inconsistency" on /dev/ufs/data1

Now, I can solve the problem by manually running fsck (as explained on many forum topics) but I would like to find out what causes the problem in the first place

The disk is 100% ok (all other virtual servers are running fine, and putting the FREENAS on another HD does not change anything)

It seems the problem occurs around the time I do a backup from a windows machine to the freenas mounted as SMB

Any ideas?

Thanks

Daniel

peterh

Patron
it sounds to me as something ( not freenas) is writing on the area assigned as freenas "system disk".
This something most likley a faulty config of vmware.

dcoppee

Cadet
What Faulty config could this be? It's strikes me odd that between all my virtual servers running on multiple hosts, this problem only affect Freenas.
Is there somewhere a guide on how to configure esxi for good behavior towards freenas?

peterh

Patron
I cannot tell whats wrong, i can only tell "something is wrong".
An ufs filesystem don't corrupt by itself, something besides the running freebsd kernel
has write access ( and writes rubbish over it)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You're using ECC memory on your server, right?

What's your underlying storage architecture look like?

You're running ESXi with the FreeBSD configuration option?

Some of us are running FreeNAS instances on ESXi without incident, so it isn't clear what's happening to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.