FreeNAS 8.3.0 delete its own account when AD service stops/restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamoHum

Cadet
I'm having a very weird issue with a new install of 8.3.0, everything works, except for permission changing via GUI at the ZFS level (it just rolls endlessly then after a good 15~20 minutes , no jokes, it posts "An error has occured" and thats it, but that's minor to me, i can detour that, but the real weird behavior i'm experiencing is :

Everytime i stop the AD service , or it restarts after a CIFS service restart, FreeNAS DELETES its own computer account on the domain, and recreates it on restart !!!!!!!
its a major problem for me, since due to our policies, unless a target OU is specified at creation, computer accounts created are moved to locked down OU.

Has this behavior been seen anywhere else ? i've searched and seeked infos, and found nothing meaningfull, and I'm a bit puzzled ... (who knows maybe i need sleep !;op).

bfdonny

Cadet
I'm encountering the exact same issue, and it's driving me nuts. I also have policies in place that will prevent that account it's bound to AD with from creating a new account, so it fails. I've actually found a workaround, but I'm not sure I actually want to use this in production:

1) Join FreeNAS to domain using the normal method
2) Make sure /etc/ActiveDirectory/config is setup as you like it (in my case, FreeNAS always tries to bind to a DC in Australia even though I'm in the US, so I have to manually edit that. Other people seem to complain of similar issues since FreeNAS seems to ignore AD sites)
3) Back up /etc/ActiveDirectory/config
4) Reboot the machine, watch as FreeNAS deletes its own AD account and /etc/ActiveDirectory/config file.
5) Copy the backed up AD config to /etc/ActiveDirectory/config
6) Manually recreate the AD computer account
7) Start AD

That seems to work, but it's awfully silly. I'm going to try some other options that might be OK for the time being. I'm tempted to leave the NAS off the domain and just use iSCSI to present LUNs to my DFS servers. It's not my preferred solution, but it should work.

wbrco

Dabbler
Ditto: Same problem. I've been using FreeNAS since 8.03, and I've never been really pleased with the way AD/CIFS operates. This is causing me a pretty big headache right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.