FreeNAS 8.2 Permissions Set-Up Example for Dummies- visual map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to user NASA I was able to set-up my test FreeNAS server, however since I'm a more visual person, I created a map to help me navigate through the steps. I thought I should share it with you.

Enjoy

PS: In my case, selecting "Windows" for the ACL option did not work very well as the permissions changes I made were not saved. Sticking with "Unix" solved the problem.

PS2: To test if your user logins are working, make sure you log off your Windows computer each time before trying a new user (no need to reboot Windows)

Free_NAS_set_up.jpg

Jamie_A

Dabbler
Excellent stuff! Thanks for this. I'll be configuring my very first FreeNAS system over the weekend.

Makaveli6103

Contributor
This is the most useful thing I have found that helped me setup my freenas. Thanks!

Skyfox

Explorer
Hi, excellent diagram.

Some noob questions here though.

Does each user HAVE to have their own dataset folder? Or could I, for example, have a single dataset for all users to point to? For example a 'private' dataset and folder for most users to use?

Cheers!

hidperf

Dabbler
Thanks to user NASA I was able to set-up my test FreeNAS server, however since I'm a more visual person, I created a map to help me navigate through the steps. I thought I should share it with you.

Enjoy

PS: In my case, selecting "Windows" for the ACL option did not work very well as the permissions changes I made were not saved. Sticking with "Unix" solved the problem.

PS2: To test if your user logins are working, make sure you log off your Windows computer each time before trying a new user (no need to reboot Windows)

Thank you for this! I've been trying to get access to my drives for a long time, ever since I tried adding my box to my domain. This helped me get it setup correctly, although I had to check "set permissions recursively" for it to work. But the visuals helped tremendously.

ChrisFor

Dabbler
Thanks to Nasa and silentmonolith for all the work!
It helped me a lot when setting up my system.

One thing I'd like to point out to everyone else (cause it nearly drove me bananas) is:
Setting 'Disable Password Login' for a user to true prevents him from beeing able to make use of any CIFS-share. I did that because I thought I don't want my users to be able to login into the freenas-server directly.
So when you want CIFS for this user to work, the best is to leave it unchecked, leave HomeDir to /nonexistent and set Shell to 'nologin'.

default6

Cadet
Nice work, and easy to understand the theory, but my plan is to set a folder structure according the content of the folders/zfs datasets (I'm not sure I know exactly the difference) like this:
volume1
homes​
A user home​
B user home​
music​
A user's music​
B user's music​
pictures​
A user's pictures​
B user's pictures​
torrents​
temp​

-home folder is only browsable/readable by its owner
-music and pictures folders and their subfolders are browsable/readable by everybody but only the user can delete files who made them.
-torrents and temp folders are reachable by everybody.

Should I make a dataset "homes" and add sub datasets "A user home" and "B user home" and so on?
Or I can make it by setting Unix permissions?

I have already working an IcyBox NAS folders constructed like I mentioned above and I studied its permissions, but I was not able to find the samba config file

Tried to find howtos about permissions for NAS topic but I only found descriptions how to separate data by owners not by content.

Thank you for your attention

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
On the diagram, where is/are the group/s folder??? Obviously this if for earlier version before 9.1
:(

Soloam

Contributor
Hello, nice diagram, I was able to make the folder restrictions working without no problem, but there is something that I can't make it work, sharing files in the same folder between users. If I create a file with Sean in the "Common Folder" the other users can't modify it, they only edit the file and then save it in a separate file. Even the Admin user.

Can any one explain me if this is possible?

Best Regards

nhutchie

Cadet
Hi All, I have a very similar issue to Soloam... Using 9.2.1.4 I have an issue where I have a mix of XP and WIN7 users all connecting to dataset "common" .... There is no AD controller in the environment so each user was added to the Freenas box and added to relevant groups...

Now with office files within the share I have the issue where the on the Freenas cli an ls -al shows 770 for the file ...
but in the windows clients the group does not have write access......... Any ideas ?

Soloam

Contributor
Hello, this is a reported bug, since Freenas 9.2.0 that this problem is around. I can make this work on 9.2.0. You can check the bug report on https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4587

Soloam

JJT211

Patron
This is the perfect!!! THANK YOU!

indivision

Guru
I asked a similar question in the associated thread. But, maybe it is more visually clear what I am asking here..

Isn't it a security vulnerability to give all nine permissions to the volumes?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This doesn't even apply as 8.2 used Samba3 and 9.2.1.x+ uses Samba4. I'm going to lock this thread as it doesn't apply for current versions anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.