FreeNAS 8.0.1-RC2 (or 8.0-RELEASE) won't boot with LSI 9211-8i connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyberzero

Cadet
Hi,

I have a VMWare ESXi 5.0 box where I has a LSI 9211-8i (based on LSI 2008-chipset), flashed to IT mode, connected to a virtual machine in passthrough mode (CPU, Intel Xeon E3-1240 supports VT-d).

However, as soon as I try to boot it stucks on the following message:
run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 60 seconds for xpt_config mps_st
artup

If I remove the LSI 9211-8i from the virtual machine FreeNAS boots just fine, and everything else works.

Does anyone have a suggestion what might be wrong?

Thanks,
Zyber

Edit: My title is wrong. Of course I meant LSA 9211!

zyberzero

Cadet
Tested the same configuration (VMWare + PCI passthrough) to both a OpenIndiana machine and a Ubuntu machine. Works like a charm, so what could it be?

Milhouse

Guru
I have a 9211-8i flashed with IT firmware and it's been working fine with all versions of 8.0 up to and including 8.0.1-RC2 (HP N36L server).

I'm not using a VM though, in which case I guess that must somehow be the cause of your problems.

zyberzero

Cadet
Hi Milhouse, and thanks for your reply.

But I'm not sure that it is the VM's fault. As I mentioned, it works perfectly using OpenIndiana and Ubuntu.

I've been googling my eyes out of finding a solution of this, but I've seen other who successfully used the same combination (but the difference is probably that they're using ESXi 4.1 instead of ESXi 5).

I've could probably try that instead, but I'm not at home for some days.
Is there any BSD-guru that could tell me what the error message really means?

Thanks,
Zyber

Milhouse

Guru
But I'm not sure that it is the VM's fault. As I mentioned, it works perfectly using OpenIndiana and Ubuntu.

I should choose my words more carefully. :)

You're correct, it's probably not ESXi 5's fault, rather it is triggering/exposing a problem/flaw/bug in FreeNAS 8. I believe the latter has to be "tweaked" to work/work well with VMs, this is just another example. Personally I would open a ticket.

propeller

Cadet
I have the same problem with the 9211-8i controller on supermicro board with 2 Xeon 5606, 48 GByte RAM,
when I install freenas 8.02, either i386 or am64 as VM in ESXi 5 it works fine until i dedicate the direct pathed pci devices (controller) to the virtual machine.
Install freenas 8.02 directly it works fine with the 9211-8i.
I've tested several modifications from within ESXi5, but no succes, I got the same message as you, either from booting from iso-image or from the installed vmdk-file

so I have to install freenas direct.
btw: booting from usb-stick don't work, I took a compactFlash Card with sata adapter connectet to the mother board

Status
Not open for further replies.