Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

FreeNAS 12.1 and 10gb CX4 card (Issue #70860)

Thanks
Ok so in FreeNAS 11, all I did was install and the card just worked.
I was unable to get a thumb drive working for freenas 12 but was able to burn a CD and installed.

the 10gb nic doesnt show up under networking and under shell I get..

1547823614029.png

I am a Winderz guy and google for anything i need to which dmesg got me that information...

thanks for any help.

Last edited:

melloa

FreeNAS Expert
Thanks
One of the things I've noticed on my tests is that OSs won't equally support Mellanox and Chelsio.

On FreeBSD I've had no problems with Chelsio, but on my all-in-one (ESXi) Mellanox was better supported. Also versions some times requires different drivers and until six months ago my FreeNAS tests installations didn't recognized the 10G card from the get go. Not true for the newer FN versions (11.2 and 11.1 U6), as I've installed without a problem.

On 11.2:

Code:
root@nas[~]# dmesg | grep Chelsio
cxgbc0: <Chelsio T320, 2 ports> mem 0xfbe81000-0xfbe81fff,0xfbe80000-0xfbe80fff irq 64 at device 0.0 numa-domain 1 on pci12

On 11.1 U6:

Code:
root@mellonas:~ # dmesg | grep Chelsio
cxgbc0: <Chelsio T320, 2 ports> mem 0xdf881000-0xdf881fff,0xdf880000-0xdf880fff irq 42 at device 0.0 numa-domain 0 on pci5

the 10gb nic doesnt show up under networking and under shell I get..
I do see your card being recognized. I'd test it with a plain OS, to be able to mess around without compromising your data/configurations. Try it on FreeBSD and Linux.

If works, you can prove the card is good.

If no other solution works after that, I'd start a ticket with iX.

Thanks
i understand its a very OLD card... works in freenas 11, esxi 6.7 and win10... so would love to use it here too in 12...
so I took my FreeNAS 11.1-U6.3 and verified 10g was working, then upgraded it with 12 and nope.. its gone.

all good as im playing with hardware that im not going to use in the future (10g side i will) but for freenas i want to build a xeon with ecc ram vs the i5 and i7 with non ecc I've been just installing to "see and feel" it.. that pre test drive... while i try and get the cash up.

but yeah...i can't call the card by name but have to by driver

dmesg | grep Mellanox just returns a prompt but i noticed in yours Chelsio was in < > so i found mlx4_core in there...

1547826437062.png

dlavigne

Storage Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks
We've had some reports that Mellanox is not playing nicely in FreeBSD 11.2 (which FreeNAS 11.2 uses). Go ahead and create a report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Thanks
We've had some reports that Mellanox is not playing nicely in FreeBSD 11.2 (which FreeNAS 11.2 uses). Go ahead and create a report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Issue #70860

melloa

FreeNAS Expert
Thanks
i understand its a very OLD card... works in freenas 11, esxi 6.7 and win10... so would love to use it here too in 12...
so I took my FreeNAS 11.1-U6.3 and verified 10g was working, then upgraded it with 12 and nope.. its gone.
Sorry, stupid me. You said in the OP it worked with 11.1.

Thanks for opening the ticket.

Thanks
Sorry, stupid me. You said in the OP it worked with 11.1.

Thanks for opening the ticket.
All good.. no worries...
Its friday and time..soon ..to pop a cold one and relax...

Thanks
I have just tried 11.2-U4.1 and card is still not recognized.
I just checked the bug I put in and it says..

History

Updated by Dru Lavigne 5 months ago

• Private changed from No to Yes
  • Reason for Blocked set to Need additional information from Author

Jeffrey: please attach a debug (System -> Advanced -> Save debug) to this ticket.

Updated by Dru Lavigne 5 months ago

• Status changed from Unscreened to Closed
  • Target version changed from Backlog to N/A
  • Private changed from Yes to No

so it says.. Set to Need additional information from Author...

Where would I have seen that? I was very busy and didn't check in for some time and still very busy but I will be around.
shall I enter a new bug or shall I go forth and wait for someone here to as me for that additional information?

weird thing though is 11.1-u7 - my card is working.... and the version I'm on now.

dlavigne

Storage Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks
It has been some time... Since then, we've migrated bug trackers (from Redmine to Jira) to bugs.ixsystems.com. Your redmine username will still work but you'll need to reset your password. If the card is still not working for you in 11.2, please make a new ticket with a debug. You should get a notification from the bug tracker whenever there is a comment on your bug (you may want to check your notification settings to see which email it is going to once you are logged into Jira).

Thanks
It has been some time... Since then, we've migrated bug trackers (from Redmine to Jira) to bugs.ixsystems.com. Your redmine username will still work but you'll need to reset your password. If the card is still not working for you in 11.2, please make a new ticket with a debug. You should get a notification from the bug tracker whenever there is a comment on your bug (you may want to check your notification settings to see which email it is going to once you are logged into Jira).
Thx
Done

https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-102105