SOLVED FreeNAS 11 rebooting (crashing) directly after boot

Tzeejay

Cadet
Hey,

I've just bought new hardware for a new FreeNAS system that is going into the DC on the first of next months (at least that was my plan haha).

Hardware specs:
- MSI B250M Pro-VH
- Intel Pentium G4600T (Kaby Lake)
- 8 GB of RAM
- SanDisk Ultra Fit 16 GB (boot drive)

I've had other issues with FreeNAS 9.10.x that were outlined well here and here and wasn't able to boot except for FreeNAS 9.10.1-U4 for some reason. I've also tried FreeNAS 11 RC4 which showed the same behavior of crashing and restarting the system or crashing and halting the system. I've taken a slow-motion video of the boot sequence in order to visualize the crash in all of it's glory but it didn't reveal any more information to me. It boot up until you get the CLI promt and then just dies instantly, Without anything useful on screen.

I'm not really sure what to do and have the feeling that this might be a chipset/board incompatibility issue with FreeBSD and not so much with FreeNAS. I'm able to boot into single-user mode. Verbose mode is just verbose and then crashes as well.

Does anyone know what next steps I should take. Is there someone much more experienced willing to debug this a little with me (I have just no idea where to start to be honest. That's my biggest issue). I'm willing to do quite a few things in order to help improve FreeNAS, including spending money. I just want this to be resolved once and for all. The other thread in this forum and the reported bug are a bit depressing if you still run into this issue.

Even though FreeNAS 9.10.1-U4 is a viable option for now I don't really like to run it because it still has the vulnerable SMB version bundled.

Please help me so that I can help you!

D

dlavigne

Seeing that it was supposed to be resolved for 11, I'd recommend creating a new bug ticket. Include your system debug (System -> Advanced -> Save Debug) so the dev has the hardware info and post the issue number here (note the issue will be hidden from others until the dev has a chance to review the debug).

Tzeejay

Cadet
Seeing that it was supposed to be resolved for 11, I'd recommend creating a new bug ticket. Include your system debug (System -> Advanced -> Save Debug) so the dev has the hardware info and post the issue number here (note the issue will be hidden from others until the dev has a chance to review the debug).

Hey, I would love to collect debug information for your developers but I simply can't because the machine is crashing before I'm able to access the web UI. Are there information stored anywhere else that could be useful to you?

D

dlavigne

Do you have an older boot env you can boot into? If so, you could create the debug there and indicate in the report that you did so in order to get the hardware details. If not, you could also try a temporary install of 9.10.1-U4 to use long enough to grab the debug.

Tzeejay

Cadet
Yeah I will do that first thing tomorrow. I will create a fresh install with 9.10.1-U4 and collect the hardware information for you. Thanks for pointing this out to me!

Tzeejay

Cadet
The issue seems to have resolved itself. Appeared to be related to insufficient cooling so totally my bad... It probably shut off trying to protect the hardware.

Thanks for your help though!!

beerandt

Cadet
The issue seems to have resolved itself. Appeared to be related to insufficient cooling so totally my bad... It probably shut off trying to protect the hardware.

Thanks for your help though!!

Sorry to piggyback, but I suspect I'm having a very similar issue. How were your able to definitively determine it was over heating?

Tzeejay

Cadet
So after running in a datacenter for almost 2 years the machine showed the same behavior all of a sudden.
In my special case I have it in a 1U server rack chassis, which wouldn't fit the fan+CPU heatsink that I bought. Since there was going to be plenty of cool air I removed the fan from the heatsink and just used that. Temps were fine all the time, but apparently FreeBSD freaks out if there is no CPU fan attached to the CPU fan header. I could't really find anything related online but apparently you just have to keep that in mind.

I got an extension cable and attached it to one of the chassis fans pulling plenty of air towards and past the CPU cooler.
I absolutely understand that this is a very special case, but maybe it helps you.

Good luck!