FreeNAS-11.3-U4 jails networking stops working after a while

wannabe_nerd

Dabbler
Yes I already tried that, but unfortunately that didn't work. I tried the update button in the Freenas webinterface but it only gave me errors like this:
Code:
Error: [EFAULT] No updates available for <NameOfJail>
same for all the jails I tried.

hescominsoon

Patron
You might need to export the data and recreate the jails under the current version of freenas.

wannabe_nerd

Dabbler
Phew honestly that's exactly what I wanted to avoid :( I mean ok - heimdall, emby and plex are easy to migrate because the amount of settings to be made is manageable. My gitlab and subsonic jails on the other hand are quite heavily tweaked and if I have to make these much effort anyway, I might as well can invest my time in migrating them to docker too.

Or am I missing something here? Is there an easy way to "export the data" and reimport it after the recreation of the jails?

hescominsoon

Patron
Phew honestly that's exactly what I wanted to avoid :( I mean ok - heimdall, emby and plex are easy to migrate because the amount of settings to be made is manageable. My gitlab and subsonic jails on the other hand are quite heavily tweaked and if I have to make these much effort anyway, I might as well can invest my time in migrating them to docker too.

Or am I missing something here? Is there an easy way to "export the data" and reimport it after the recreation of the jails?
no idea..docker on freenas isn't straightforward(IMO) as you have to fire up a linux vm and then run docker inside of that(which i have done for the unifi controller and also TrueCommand)...

kdragon75

Wizard
FreeBSD makes this easy. All user modified files should be under /usr/local/ assuming that all install scripts were well written for BSD... in theory you should be able to just grab that folder and drop it into the new jail.

Disclaimer, I did not read this thread just the last few posts. I have no idea what your issue is. I'm lazy.

wannabe_nerd

Dabbler
FreeBSD makes this easy. All user modified files should be under /usr/local/ assuming that all install scripts were well written for BSD... in theory you should be able to just grab that folder and drop it into the new jail.

Thanks for this info. But I was some kind of lazy too and decided that it's time to leave jails behind and migrate to docker instead. That way I finally got somewhat used to docker. Migrating subsonic was easy because its basically a java application running on an tomcat or jetty-server. In fact I did just copy my whole subsonic settings directory into the docker container volume. My only left jail is gitlab because migrating gitlab seems a hell of a journey to me and what is more: a newly installed gitlab docker container takes 4GB RAM while ideling! Documentation at gitlab says thats normal (WTF?!!) Since my gitlab jail is running fine and does not nearly consume as much ram I'll just leave it as it is until the guys at gitlab arrive in reality regarding RAM usage or until my server gets the upgrade to 64GB RAM.

Thanks for all who tried to help me!