FreeNAS 11.3-U4 is now available

wschmbomrpqg

Dabbler
Hello everyone.

Sadly the update does not work for me: [Errno 13] Permission denied: './ValidateUpdate'

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 349, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 388, in __run_body
    rv = await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self.method, *([self] + args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/utils/run_in_thread.py", line 10, in run_in_thread
    return await self.loop.run_in_executor(self.run_in_thread_executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/utils/io_thread_pool_executor.py", line 25, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 965, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 586, in download
    get_handler=handler.get_handler,
  File "/usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Update.py", line 1066, in DownloadUpdate
    latest_mani.RunValidationProgram(directory, kind=Manifest.VALIDATE_UPDATE)
  File "/usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Manifest.py", line 682, in RunValidationProgram
    subprocess.check_output(valid_script, preexec_fn=PreExecHook, stderr=subprocess.STDOUT)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py", line 411, in check_output
    **kwargs).stdout
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py", line 488, in run
    with Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs) as process:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py", line 800, in __init__
    restore_signals, start_new_session)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py", line 1551, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: './ValidateUpdate'

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

wschmbomrpqg

Dabbler
That just means you have a corrupt download.

I tried it several times over the last hour.
Can't imagine that this is just a corrupted download.

I also tried to apply the update manual (verified checksums) but this didn't work either.

Samuel Tai

I tried it several times over the last hour.
Can't imagine that this is just a corrupted download.

I also tried to apply the update manual (verified checksums) but this didn't work either.

OK, then ./ValidateUpdate isn't executing because the execute bits aren't being set on expansion. There's something funky going on with your boot pool. Are these on USB thumb drives?

wschmbomrpqg

Dabbler
The boot device is virtualized since my FreeNAS is a VM running on Proxmox.
(Yes I use a HBA passthrough for the data pools)

Samuel Tai

The boot device is virtualized since my FreeNAS is a VM running on Proxmox.
(Yes I use a HBA passthrough for the data pools)

Did you build the boot device read-only?

wschmbomrpqg

Dabbler
Did you build the boot device read-only?
Nope.

But I guess I've found the problem: The system-dataset had "exec" turned off.
(And that's what I'd like to keep since normally I don't need to execute anything...)

I turned it on and now the update worked.

I guess I can just turn it off again? Or isn't that a wise idea?

Samuel Tai

That's not how the boot pool is supposed to operate. Leave exec on.

wschmbomrpqg

Dabbler
I'm not talking about the boot drive but about the system dataset.
The system dataset can either be set to "freenas-boot" or to any pool.
I've set it to a pool. This pool has exec off.

But okay I guess I should just turn it on and then turn it off for each child dataset that doesn't need it.

Thank you, Sir. :)

(Sorry for the off-topic here)

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Upgrade went fine on 4 Systems - I did not tested the ACL reregression related issue...Are there details about that ?

revengineer

Contributor
Upgrade went fine on 4 Systems - I did not tested the ACL reregression related issue...Are there details about that ?
The ticket was posted above: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-106911. Essentially you cannot set ACL permissions within FreeNAS. The Issue is marked as fixed, now we just need to get U4.1 out the door to fix the problem on the user end.

revengineer

Contributor
11.3U4.1 is live. Thank you so much!

techo91

Cadet
Installed with no problems. ACL issue is fixed. Thank you.

Erwin

Dabbler
I just wanted to give some feedback after upgrading to 14.3-U4 on 7/26/2020 and to 11.3-U4.1 on 8/9/2020:

SMB shares to Windows and Mac clients showed a strange behaviour (suddenly "write protected")
The run forward to 4.1 did not solve it (automatically)

Troubleshooting results:
one of the user accounts has moved from UID 1002 to 1001, with the result that 2 users had the same 1001 UID. I deleted the user and created him again with 1002. No idea how this happend, but I cannot exclude an own mistake in the past. I need to look into my older config backups to understand when it changed...

in Storage > Pools > Edit Datasets the ACL Mode was set to Passthrough. A change to Restricted fixed all issues.
I have never seen before this feature in the GUI, it was new for me (my replica system with 11.2-U4 still shows the Unix/Windows/Mac share type flavour). So I am wondering how the upgrade decided to Passthrough, as this finally caused the problem. Everytime when an application did a write to the share, the file system removed the write and execute rights from the file.

So just a feedback, no complaints ;-)
The stuff is running stable over 9 years now, thanks!

pb345

Cadet
My system won't boot anymore after updating to this version, if I hook up my monitor I see the following error being spammed:
Code:
vm_fault: pager read error, pid <new pid every second or so> (python3.7)
pid <above pid> (python3.7), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

System worked fine before updating, anyone have any idea what I can do to get it to boot again?

Samuel Tai

My system won't boot anymore after updating to this version, if I hook up my monitor I see the following error being spammed:
Code:
vm_fault: pager read error, pid <new pid every second or so> (python3.7)
pid <above pid> (python3.7), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

System worked fine before updating, anyone have any idea what I can do to get it to boot again?

One of your jails or plugins barfed. Reboot back into your previous version, using the procedure in Section 2.5.5 of the Guide.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I just wanted to give some feedback after upgrading to 14.3-U4 on 7/26/2020 and to 11.3-U4.1 on 8/9/2020:

SMB shares to Windows and Mac clients showed a strange behaviour (suddenly "write protected")
The run forward to 4.1 did not solve it (automatically)

Troubleshooting results:
one of the user accounts has moved from UID 1002 to 1001, with the result that 2 users had the same 1001 UID. I deleted the user and created him again with 1002. No idea how this happend, but I cannot exclude an own mistake in the past. I need to look into my older config backups to understand when it changed...

in Storage > Pools > Edit Datasets the ACL Mode was set to Passthrough. A change to Restricted fixed all issues.
I have never seen before this feature in the GUI, it was new for me (my replica system with 11.2-U4 still shows the Unix/Windows/Mac share type flavour). So I am wondering how the upgrade decided to Passthrough, as this finally caused the problem. Everytime when an application did a write to the share, the file system removed the write and execute rights from the file.

So just a feedback, no complaints ;-)
The stuff is running stable over 9 years now, thanks!
aclmode = restricted was "Windows" prior to 11.3
aclmdoe = passthrough was "Unix" and "Mac" prior to 11.3

In 11.3 we directly exposed these options to users so that they know what's actually set on the dataset. "SMB" dataset preset in 11.3 sets aclmode to restricted and case sensitivity to "insensitive".

pb345

Cadet
One of your jails or plugins barfed. Reboot back into your previous version, using the procedure in Section 2.5.5 of the Guide.
Thanks, that did the trick and my system has booted, weird - I expected jails and plugins to be turned on after a full succesful boot of freenas but it seems this is not the case?

Do I need to change something in my jails so I can succesfully update freenas?

Samuel Tai

Do I need to change something in my jails so I can succesfully update freenas?

It depends on what RELEASE your jails are running. Anything below 11.2-RELEASE should be destroyed before the upgrade, and then rebuilt after the upgrade on 11.3-RELEASE.

In fact, for my own upgrade, I destroyed all the jails, and rebuilt them afterwards. This is because 11.2 still runs warden, but 11.3 now runs iocage as the jail subsystem. The /usr/local/sbin/migrate_warden.py script is supposed to migrate jails between the 2 subsystems, but it's better to do it yourself.

pb345

Cadet
It depends on what RELEASE your jails are running. Anything below 11.2-RELEASE should be destroyed before the upgrade, and then rebuilt after the upgrade on 11.3-RELEASE.

In fact, for my own upgrade, I destroyed all the jails, and rebuilt them afterwards. This is because 11.2 still runs warden, but 11.3 now runs iocage as the jail subsystem. The /usr/local/sbin/migrate_warden.py script is supposed to migrate jails between the 2 subsystems, but it's better to do it yourself.

Thanks for the response.
All my jails were iocage jails running the 11.3-RELEASE-p11 release, I have since updated all of them within the freenas UI to 11.3-RELEASE-p12.
I'm kind of hoping this was the reason my freenas update to 11.3-U4 got borked but I feel like my hope is misplaced and there is probably something else that's blocking my attempt.
Are there any specific actions I need to perform to my jails to update succesfully? I tried searching but I wasn't able to find anyone encountering the same issue as me.